Default Swarm Hive Inspection help

Captured a swarm on June 2.
    Inspection on June 7th plus donated frame of brood to help with population.
    Another inspection June 14th revealed 7 queen cells
    Another inspection on June 29th revealed all of the queen cell gone except for 1.
    Inspection on July 6th showed very sparatic laying with very few eggs found and a couple of larve.
    Inspection today July 11 showed a new queen cell that had been capped?

Any thoughts on what to do with this hive? Buy a queen? Keep donating brood?

Default Re: Swarm Hive Inspection help

Donate eggs from a good laying hive?
    You'll get it... bee patient.

Same thing happened to me, I chose to do a paper combine with a nuk, good laying queen-rite hive. Going strong now.

Opened the hive today and the queen cell is gone. No other larvae in sight and everything that was open larvae in now brood cells. So combine or buy a queen?

I'm a fan of localized gene pool so I would go for combine. Either way will result in similar outcome. If you combine depending on numbers, might bounce back a bit quicker.

Yesterday I throughly went thru the hive. I moved the frames one by one to another super looking a each one for signs of a queen. Nothing, no new queen, no eggs, no larve nothing. So I donated a frame of brood from another hive. Frame was full of eggs. Even had bees hatching as a moved it. Now to I play the waiting game again this late in the year or do I get a new queen ordered ASAP.

Me........I'd wait.
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

I guess I'm just worried that they won't get very well established this late in the summer

You can always overwinter it as a nuc....... Of course you're taking a chance. You'll have to wait approx 60 days from today to have field bees from the new queen... If you get a new queen tomorrow, she's laying in a day or two and you have field bees from her +- 30 days.......but then you're out the cost of the queen plus the frt to get her to you.........
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by shawbran View Post
    Opened the hive today and the queen cell is gone. No other larvae in sight and everything that was open larvae in now brood cells. So combine or buy a queen?
    I've had hives that swarmed till gone.

She needs some time to mate and start laying. If you're small in numbers, I suspect buying another queen is good money after bad. I suggest checking Mike Bush's site for bee math and go from there.

This past year I collected a huge swarm from one of two survivors. I went into the "host" hive and found six or eight queen cells in various stages of development. I realized that was by design from previous experience and Mike confirmed with trusted reference. I separated those queens into single deeps being too lazy and cheap to get nucs. The host hive stopped their nonsense, the big swarm is doing well and the others are still existing bringing me to six. I expect to combine two in fall especially since I only have and want gear for five two deep hives.

IMHO four hives take near the same time and effort as one, provide splits to replenish losses and the same tool, smoker and suit serves all. At $200 for a complete hive and $100 for a package, extra hives pay for themselves over the long haul. If that's too many for your yard, you will be surprised with how many neighbors are eager to provide for a little yard.

I'm in the same predicament. I'm going for local queen replacement if I can find. Only two hives, want to chance overwintering nuc.

What's my chances that since I had a capped supercedure cell and didn't have one two day later that I have a new queen and when I couldn't locate her Sunday she was possibly doing a mating flight?

Quote Originally Posted by shawbran View Post
    What's my chances that since I had a capped supercedure cell and didn't have one two day later that I have a new queen and when I couldn't locate her Sunday she was possibly doing a mating flight?
    More than likely. Either way it will be another ~42 days until you have harvesters Like I said, I'm hoping to get a mated queen tomorrow and catch up a bit of lost production time.

Found mated queens for 15.00 Thursday I'm going to inspect again I guess that will be the deciding factor. Really hoping that this feral swarm would keep themselves and not have a Italian queen.