Default Shims for heatwave

Can I put shims under the inner cover its not protected by the top cover as I have a empty med. on for feeding . , I already have my top cover shimmed and a small top entrance in the inner cover , there still bearding .

Default Re: Shims for heatwave

Sounds like you have enough ventillation. It hot out here 96 last I knew. Bees beard. They will bee ok.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 07-15-2013 at 07:59 PM.

I was pondering putting some shims between my inner and outer covers the other day before this heatwave and never got it done. It's sunny and smokin' hot and humid out there right now, tried checking a few hives in the home yard a few minutes ago and thought I was going to drown in sweat, just couldn't take any more after about 20 minutes. The bees are bringing in lots and lots of nectar though, it was shaking out of the combs in large amounts, nice to see after all that rain we had for 3 weeks. John

Thanks Beeman I was thinking rain could get in and they might just seal it up anyway and I'm making it open for any ants or bugs out there to get in and I'm changing the bee space . I can't figure out how to cool them down . How the heck do they survive in the south !

Not sure if this will help but the oval hole in my inner cover which many have is screened over and that especially helps now in this heat because the outer cover is propped

up in the back by a 1" square piece of wood running the width of the cover making a nice top vent. 95* today and no bearding.

Woodsy ,I have 3/4'' shims on both sides of my outer cover so its lifted up evenly and I do have the oval hole also , will that work as good as the prop .

Seems like it should be venting with that setup.
    The other thing i didn't mention is there is good draft from the bottom of my hives using screened bottom boards
    with the pullout tray opened a couple-three inches. That might be making a nice draft upward too.

I can't figure out how to cool them down .
    You don't have to, they are masters at it. Consider most wild colonies....no shimmed cover, no SBB, and in many cases an entrance not much larger than a single bee and yet they do just fine.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

I keep thinking of the wild colonies in trees and how they survive pretty amazing , I can't get use to seeing them bearding and hanging on the front of both deep brood boxes . Its my strong colony thats doing it , my other two hives look normal , I wonder if there out growing the space again . This colony is crazy , I started it from a five frame nuc on 6/1 , added second deep on 6/12 , added med. honey super 7/8 could the med. be full already . I better take a look soon , is there any stress on the bees doing a full inspection when its so hot ( 90's ) .

Went into mine yesterday and it was 90s here at 1PM.
    My hives are all medium 8 frame and are stacked 3 high right now.
    I didn't go through the bottom boxes because all seemed well in the top two so closed
    them back up. Bees didn't mind, were quite calm in fact.

Hey guys,
    This summer I placed a 1"x4" piece of strapping between my inner cover and outer cover, at the back. Great ventilation plus it angles your outer cover which drains any rain away. Simple application, but bear in mind we don't have beetles or wax moths either.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    Not sure if this will help but the oval hole in my inner cover which many have is screened over and that especially helps now in this heat because the outer cover is propped

up in the back by a 1" square piece of wood running the width of the cover making a nice top vent. 95* today and no bearding.