Default Just a newbie question about supers...

I have three hives. All three are booming. I have two deeps on each that the bees are using fully and have built out completely. I added a medium super (again on each) that they have filled with capped honey. So this weekend I added another medium to each hive.

I believe that we are at the end of the flow here in Charleston, WV. So I dont expect them do much more in this new super until the goldenrod blooms.

My question - Why do we leave the full super on the hive? I see pictures and vids of other beekeepers with 3 or more full supers on the hive when they finally harvest. Is there a reason to leave them? Or just so they can all be harvested at the same time?

Thanks!

Default Re: Just a newbie question about supers...

It's safest to leave them on until you're ready to extract. if you remove them, and then don't quickly extract, the moths and SHB can get to them. It's just easier to extract all at once. You only have to steup and then cleanup once.

Personal preference mostly. Personally I extract as I go along. But then, I use all deeps and hate lifting full deeps off a stack 5-6 high. Some beeks remove supers as various flows are over so that they can sell specific honeys--ie tupelo, orange blossom, etc. So remove supers whenever you are ready. There are no hard and fast "rules" about it. Just be sure to leave the bees enough for winter and you are fine!

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

Thanks for the quick responses. I thought it was something like that. My second deep is loaded with honey and I was thinking I would go ahead and harvest the first medium. It will be our first harvest, so a smaller harvest would be easiest for us.

Nothing keeps honey safer than bees for the most part. The main reason is people typically extract at a certain time not when a box on a hive is ready if you get what I mean.

Most summers I will pull honey supers off in July and again at the end of August. I like to get a head start on my extracting so it doesn't consume all my time in September. Last year, some of the honey supers I left on all summer had granulated dandelion honey. If I had pull these supers off earlier in the summer I would have been able to extract them.