Default Treating Japanese Beetles

Hi everyone:

What can I treat the garden and blueberries with that will take of the Japanese beetles without killing my bees?

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

Default Re: Treating Japanese Beetles

I use the bags you hang on poles to catch them. I hang the bag away from the garden on a shepherd's hook. We also use lime on the vegetables.

My Dad used to pay me to pick them off of the grapevine leaves and throw them in a can of gasoline, when I was a young boy.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Thanks. I was searching for some more info and i found the below website. I like the idea of the repellent and trap plants. The nice thing about the once mentioned is that bees like some of them. Pheromone traps will probably be the ultimate solution.

http://www.ghorganics.com/JapaneseBeetle.html

When I tried the bag traps it seemed to bring all of them in my neighborhood to my yard. Last year and the year before I used predatory nematodes, this year they haven't been a problem yet. Last year I did notice they favored my one elderberry bush (Wildwood) over all else so it ended up being a trap crop for them. It is healthy enough that it didn't hurt it at all. They left the other cultivar alone.

I let the wild grapevines weeds grow on a nearby fence, the japanese beetles love em and are too busy munching on those to eat my beans or anything else in the garden.

Pole beans make the best trap plants. However they don't bother my blueberries at all... They will wear out my blackberries and beans hence i control them. I highly suggest you don't use scented traps. They just draw more in... what i do is go out in the morning and pick them off my beans and blackberries. They are always on the top when the plant is in the shade early in the morning or in the evening so they are easy to get. Just knock them off into a plastic solo cup with water in it, they will roll right off the leaves into the cup. Then set the cup in the sun. In a few hours they will be dead. Then i feed them to my chickens.

Japenese beetles don't bug my bush beans enough to cause significant damage while many cover the wild vines. I grew pole beans one year and never will again, imo they are inferior to bush beans. Bush beans are much easier to manage, pick and provide more harvest per sq ft.

I put some milky spores out this spring, I hope it works!
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)