Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Newbie needing help - overheating

twice the size but no better. Hum....

Yeah, they need more bars and a follower board. Nice photo, it blows up OK.
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

wait... click on it.... That's my girls... and the hive box is half empty... plenty of empty bars to build on.

what is the purpose of the follower board? They've been doing just fine without one?

As I understand it is to make them feel to be in a closed nest. Secondly to prevent them from building burr comb onto the removable top. Thirdly, because the engineer in me wants to follow the design!

My follower board has a 3/4 in gap at the bottom so they can access the space behind it but for you since you don't have one its a moot point for an entrance I just slide the first bar back when they beard heavily in the heat I just remove the last top bar in the back with in min fanners show up and they are pushing air in through the back and out the front it doesn't take long for the beard to get smaller sometimes it goes away completely

Harley, that sounds like info she can use! Great!

Harley, do you have a flat top or a peaked one?

just so I understand
    remove the last bar - furthest from the opening and empty
    move every bar in this heat toward the back and put the last bar in the 1st bar slot
    in this heat?
    I won't cause heavy comb to fall???
    They are loaded...

Quote Originally Posted by sab View Post
    what is the purpose of the follower board? They've been doing just fine without one?
    Some use them some don't. The Philip Chandler design uses two and center bottom holes. I tried them because I purchased the hive and it was a similar design but I ended up changing all that. Right now I have the solid follower board in to create a nuc at the other end of the hive when I saw those swarm cells but in general I don't use it. I used the one with a hole in it last year until I saw the SHB were using it as a safe haven. Seeing that I made one up that has beespace (3/8") on the sides and bottom but took it out when I made the nuc. I will put it back in when I move the nuc to a new home.

The follower board is to contain the combs in a managable brood nest and to block/prevent wild comb in the "free" space. In a big flow (May) a large hive will quickly run out of space (bars) to store honey and will build comb wherever it can and in whatever shape and place the see fit. And yes in a big flow with alot of bees this can occur within a day or two. I really doubt there is much flow now, feeding syrup is a pseudo flow so they will continue to draw comb and expand brood nest. Just make sure you give them room to expand and if they are still drawing comb; open slates in between combs or at the end. You probably havn't experience problems without a follower bc the hive is small and outside of peak flow.

The bearding is totally normal, my langs have 100s, if not a thousands bees out front on hot summer nights. If your really worried about the heat, move the hive to a location that recieves afternoon shade. Or devise somekind of shade umbrella to block the sun.

imo top bars are inferior to langs. I think new people like them bc they are different/neat/trendy.

Re: Newbie needing help - overheating
    just so I understand
    remove the last bar - furthest from the opening and empty
    move every bar in this heat toward the back and put the last bar in the 1st bar slot
    in this heat?
    I won't cause heavy comb to fall???
    They are loaded...

Nope, if you must, pick up the first bar and move it to be the last comb, or throw it away. Then, I think Harley and M. Bush say they leave the first space open, and the last space open. Right Harley?

Interesting in that in the book my daughter used as a guide, it says to have a spacer bar in the front and back. All the other bars have a wooden guide to build on. But the bees insisted on building on that first spacer bar. THAT is probably the problem. There literally is NO space at the front of this hive. They may even have that 1st bar attached to the wall as well.

Hubby says we can't do that cause they built brood on that first bar.

Quote Originally Posted by sab View Post
    Interesting in that in the book my daughter used as a guide, it says to have a spacer bar in the front and back. All the other bars have a wooden guide to build on. But the bees insisted on building on that first spacer bar. THAT is probably the problem. There literally is NO space at the front of this hive. They may even have that 1st bar attached to the wall as well.
    I have that book, it is a good one.

According to Michael Bush's website http://bushfarms.com/bees.htm, his TBH entrance is just the first bar set back from the end of the hive 3/8" and then the lid sits on top of a 3/4" bar giving them a 3/8" X 3/4" entrance. You already have an entrance so I would either give them a vent hole or just prop the last bar at the back of the hive up on the front side to give them a vent. You can try that and see if it helps without messing with the nest or committing to a hole.

Wyatt Mangum's book is good too. A deeper read than the Crowder one but has some useful tips too.

Well, I have been looking hard on the web to get pictures or comment about that first space and only see it by Harley and Bush and could be misunderstanding them. So stick with what you have and ride it out. What else?

Leave them in the order they were just slide them all back 3/4 of an inch so there is a gap in the front do it mid morning before it gets too hot mine have brood on the first bar as well but are slowly converting it over to mostly pollen when you get to the back open it up as well if you have to but just sliding the bars back may be enough you dont want to leave both ends open forever when it starts cooling off it can allow a draft you also don't want to open up more than they can defend you can accomplish that with a false board ripped to the proper width to only allow a small gap in the back. I use the follower board to contain them and try to keep 6-8 emptie bars between it and the comb this gives them a smaller area to defend allows me to access the feeder jar with out disturbing the nest and discourages them from turning the honey comb and run across bars

My roof is a sheet of plywood laying directly over the bars and overhangs. I started off with 3 holes but didnt like them so I plugged them with corks

Well, it has been good talking to you, sorry I can't be of any real help. I went through similar troubles last summer. I converter to a Lang. But that is no help to you. Keep us posted. Good night.

Ok I just saw you video I didn't realise the entrance was on the side it was hard to tell but it looks like some sort of telescoping cover is used over the bars, if that is the case disreguard my previous advice if my hive were that style I'd drill a few 1 in holes on the back side away from the nest on the end on the top side and when cool weather returns plug them with corks so you don't have draft issues

Sorry its late and those directions are hard to follow drill vent holes on the narrow side parallel to the comb on the side away from the nest not on the long side opposite your entrance. Does that make better sense?

Yes I understand. Drill at the end -- my daughter numbered the bars. Of course they are not in order now. So instead of raising lid with popscicle sticks, just drill at the highest numbered bars (which is the opposite end of the 1st brood comb). And not to disturb the nest. There is no follower board but the girls are building in correct formation. Right now its 73 outside @ 8:00AM. It got down to 67 last night. Hubby says we have to be careful not to let too much out as the girls will have to work harder to stay warm. I'll take pictures of what I do.
    Can't thank everyone enough for ALL your help!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast