Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Newbie needing help - overheating

No, it might rain. The 1/4 inch all around should be fine. Make sure you have empty top bars (3 or 4?) for them to festoon on. How big is your entry? That can/will limit fresh air entry, if you are using drilled holes for entry drill more IMO.

Here is what Mr. Bush has to say about TBH venting. He is a much, much better guide than I.

"Question: On Langstroth hives you often have a top and bottom vent to get sufficient ventilation. Should I provide cross ventilation in my TBH?

Answer: Bees seem to have more trouble ventilating a vertical hive with no vent at the top. They have to force dry air (which wants to go down) up to the top and hot moist air at the top (which wants to go up), back down and out the bottom. It's sort of like walking 20 miles to school, uphill both ways. So a top vent or top entrance in a vertical hive seems to be very helpful as it allows the hot moist air out the top which sucks the dry air in the bottom. With a horizontal hive, this is not an issue. They just move the air in a circular fashion in one side and back out the other side and out the door. Sort of like a nice level walk with no hills. This seems to work well. With cross ventilation (such as a front and back vent or entrance) the wind may blow through the hive and that may be a bad thing."

So, He seems to be saying that your entry should be large enough to allow the bees to move the air in and out to cool the hive. How big is enough? Mine was 3/4" high and 6" wide. I have since moved them into a Lang as my 5 hives are Langs and I did not want the odd hive to work. You may not have a heat problem, they may just need more space in the hive, eg, more bars. Don't add into the brood nest, add at the end of your present bars so as to extend the stack.
    Last edited by julysun; 07-14-2013 at 07:53 PM.
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

My TBH hives have just a flat top also, most are screened bottoms, but a couple are solid bottoms with bottom entrances, I don't use follower boards. I just drilled an 1 1/8 inch hole in the top of the rear of the box I screened them on the outside so the bees could stand in the 3/4 inch ledge inside and force the hot air through the hole, you could put several holes if you want, if you don't have screen handy go ahead and drill them and screen them later so you can give them some relief now. Hot air rises so they have to be at the top.

Daughter made hive based on the book "Top-Bar Beekeeping" by Less Crowder & Heather Harrell. The book says the access should be 6 inches. I'm sure it's that. She stuck with his instructions. So I understand, I should move some empty bars in between the existing comb filled bars? And how deep to I go with that? I don't know if as a newbie, I'm allowed to post pictures. But I am going to try to insert some pictures in this post. Wouldn't let me do pictures but maybe this you tube will come through.

As you can see in the video, the access is about 6 inches. My husband added the landing and they are literally hanging off it. So.... if I drill holes at the top... and I have plenty of screening.... but - will the shavings from the drilling cause some angst or should I just drill holes where the bars are empty? I checked the entire hive bout 2 weeks ago when it was in the 80's. I removed any bridge comb and basically the colony looked great. They are working on winter stores now and about 1/2 way through the box. I still don't understand if I should put spacers (empty bars) between existing comb and how far into the brood I should go doing that....
    Thanks folks for all your responses!! I really want my girls to live and be productive....

If they are hanging outside from each other they are probably "bearding", which isn't a huge deal but does mean it is warm in the hive. Mine beard. On the main hive I opened another hole and they just beard there too. With the nucs I can't do anything about it but they are fine. (Well, one that is full is fanning at the entrance as well as a huge beard so I need to figure out how to keep them the "right" size or make a bigger nuc for them.)

If you have a flat roof covered with metal and no air gap between that and the bars I would worry about the heat transferring and causing comb collapse (depends on how hot it gets there). You can try giving them an air gap or add some foam insulation between the two. You might also take a look at Michael Bush's website The Practical Beekeeper. If you haven't been opening the broodnest I would recommend you look that up on the site. I'm just in my second year so make sure you take a look at what the experts say.

EDIT - Saw your video, I agree that a vent hole up near the top will help. If you can put it in the area of the hive they aren't using it may be easiest with the least disruption. There you could reach in and take out any big chips from drilling. My main hive doesn't quite beard that much but the nuc I mentioned does.
    Last edited by Colleen O.; 07-14-2013 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Saw their video

Thanks Colleen. I will check out his site. I did look at the broodnest about 2 weeks ago. It looked great. As far as a newbie can tell. If I understand correctly, in this heat I disturb it as little as possible....?? In the AM I am elevating the lid about 1/4 inch. Think that will do it?
    Really appreciate everyone's input!

Yes, definitely be careful in the heat especially if manipulating newly drawn comb. I did that two weeks ago and caused a comb collapse. I have been putting an empty bar or two in my broodnest since May to get them to expand and also in hopes of preventing a swarm. It worked on the expansion but they did still swarm on me.

Husband is wondering if we raise the lid 1/4 do we open the hive to robbing from the other hives? The Top Bar sits next to 5 Langstroth hives.

We've only had this hive since the middle of June. ALL the comb is newly drawn. Do you recover the swarm or is the hive lost then?

I think in general you should add bars at the end of your present bars, away from the entry end. If your box is full of top bars and all are drawn out with comb you are up against one shortcoming of a TBH. You cannot expand beyond filled. You can extract honey and put the empty bars back in the box, but you still have to many bees for the hive. About the only solution to this is to start another hive by splitting the outgrown one.Or, wait for them to swarm, wave good bye and wish them well!

Do you have space for more bars? Do you want a second TBH? Now is the time to split the hive if it is full.

Are your bars solid under the lid? If they are it couldn't cause robbing. If there are gaps I would put in the screened vent hole. I have a screened bottom board on the one hive but have been leaving it on due to past problems with SHB. When young they can get in past the number 8 mesh.

Since June? Was it an established hive?. Did you start with a package of bees? You may have a terrific hive if it filled that fast.

julysun

This is a new TBH. It's only 1/2 filled. We've only had this hive since the middle of June. There is LOTS of room inside that TB. In fact, 2 jar feeders are inside there. They have only been drawing out the comb for about 2 months.

Then just add some empty bars to give them space.

By the way, you can stop feeding as that just encourages the hive to grow. Somehow the queen knows how much nectar is coming in, in your case sugar water, and adjust her egg laying to match the food supply. With all that sugar water she has been in high gear to produce bees.

Colleen - the bars are tight.
    julysun - we took our TB to a local beekeeper. She raises hygienic queens. A very resistant strain of bees. Carniolan bees. She started the hive and we picked it up when she was comfortable that it was well established. There were probably 8 or so bars filled. When she gives you a nuc for a Langstroth, there's usually 4-5 frames. But she wanted to let the TB get established good before we came to get it. Since June, yes. The hive is very strong.

Quote Originally Posted by sab View Post
    We've only had this hive since the middle of June. ALL the comb is newly drawn. Do you recover the swarm or is the hive lost then?
    I was not home when they swarmed so I missed it but the hive does recover if they succeed in raising a new queen. I took advantage of it and made a nuc up with some of the extra queen cells. I figured it was good insurance for if one queen didn't make it back or something. I also want to try overwintering nucs so I wanted the nuc anyway. Both queens made it back and are laying. The hive has definitely recovered but they are certainly behind where they would have been if they hadn't swarmed. I tried to prevent it like I mentioned and also split off a nuc a week before they swarmed (which is the crowded, bearding one).

"Do you recover the swarm or is the hive lost then?" Very high odds against recovering the swarm. They may go miles away, when you are away. Their first jump may be only a short distance and if you miss that they may jump across town.

Funny that, some on this Forum say the first jump is to see if they, the swarm, have the queen with them and if she can fly well. If she passes those test they search for a new home and go for the long and last flight. Bees are amazing!

I don't know why this won't let me upload a picture. So I'm going to try it this way. Here is a photo of the inside of my TBH - 2 month old hive.... Took the photo day before yesterday.
    tb1.jpg

now that's disgustingly small....
    I'm going to try that again.....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast