Thread: wings

Default wings

I have had a few B's pulled out of my hives by thier sisters that appear not to have fully developed wings... I'm talkin 5 or 6 that I have seen looking at genetics and a mom that gives birth to tens of thousands of babies would it be unusual to have a few beasted are not quite developed or normal or am I looking at something bigger?

Default Re: wings

Deformed Wing Virus, carried by mites.

Do a mite check, it's getting on time to treat them anyway.

Peter

Thanks Peter I was afraid of that!

Im dealing with the same thing wen. Think I introduced them on a frame of capped brood from a friend, hadnt had the problem before.

I have 1 hive...started with a nuc. Guess im just lucky i wasnt left out...not!

Im new too, with 2 hives. One went queenless, so I had issues and had to build them up. Had em good, with help from my strong hive, but couldnt resist the boost of a frame. Wish I had now.

I would not be so quick with a diagnosis, although it is possible that they came with the brood you introduced, odds are that they were already in the hive. nearly every hive has them these days. the question is how many. if one were to have a hive that was completely segregated from any other bees then it may be possible not to have them. but one bee brings a mite to a flower where it waits to hitch hike on another bee to a new home.

Tenbears, I have 2 hives about 40 yds apart. One in the front and one in the back of the house. I didnt see anything like this before the given frame started hatching out, and havent seen any such activity on the front hive. Hey im new to this so, who knows. I just thought it stood to reason. I have inspected the frames thouroughly, shouldnt I be able to spot the mites? The pictures I see the mites are fairly obvious on the carriers. I spend hours watching the bees come and go on a daily basis. In a chair 2 feet from the hive entrance. Shouldnt I be able to spot them if they are bad enough to treat? Thanks for any advice. G

biggraham
    I sit about 2 feet away from my bees daily I haven't SEEN any mites either but then again my girls don't stay still very long for me to look

I hear ya Wen, but the entrance is always covered and the hive front with washboarding activity. Those are the bees you can really spy on. I just figured I would have seen something, have you looked at the pictures when you search varroa images. Seems fairly obvious. I just want to keep from treating unless it is neccessary. Hmmmm. Quandry......

mine are busy washboarding too (why do they waste their time?) I would have thought they could be seen (I have 20/20) but now between a few with deformed wings and a few aborted babies...Im not so sure. Guess I will do the sugar test. I also don't want to treat if I don't have to but then again I don't want to lose my bees

ditto, let me know how the sugar test works for you. I am still trying to figure how Im gonna pull that off. Seeing the affected bees is a heartbreak, but it seems one in a thousand. Just dont know.

I will keep you posted G...you do the same and good luck!

All hives have mites period no exceptions, The caveat is that some hives deal with them better than others

When worker bees get old the first thing that wears out is their wings. The other bees will drag them out and throw them off the porch. You don't work you don't eat. I don't know if this could be what your seeing.
    Remember this time of year you have 1000/1500 bees die every day, possibly more.