Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bee Shield

Default Re: Bee Shield

Quote Originally Posted by beeshield View Post
    As i stated in my original thread the studies are to be completed in a week or two, as being a new company I don't have the giant financial resources to pay for $20,000 tests from multitudes of researchers,
    One simple and quick question. Since you state your from Atwater I'd like to know if you are related or have ever been involved with the people who run the "Shamrock" bee business in your area?

Quote Originally Posted by irwin harlton View Post
    Bee Shield comes in a spray that is applied directly onto the working bees.
    wouldnt Oxalic acid spray do the same thing, by controlling the mites?

*Protects against black queen cell virus
    * Increased viral resistance
    * Increased production
    * Increased nutritional uptake
    * Protects against pesticides (systemic pesticides)
    * Increased parasite resistance
    * Field results show 99% effective
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    wouldnt Oxalic acid spray do the same thing, by controlling the mites?

*Protects against black queen cell virus
    * Increased viral resistance
    * Increased production
    * Increased nutritional uptake
    * Protects against pesticides (systemic pesticides)
    * Increased parasite resistance
    * Field results show 99% effective
    One could make a case that any varroa control substance would do all of these things with the notable exception of protecting against pesticides. I am not sure I have ever heard any product make that claim unless, perhaps, you are selling screened entrances.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Scientists all over the world are researching how bees react to pesticides and how to save pollinators but your miracle product couldn't get financing to pay for tests?

I'd agree with others that your credentials, ingredients and test data are necessary before I'd even consider spraying my bees with your product.

If a product is worth a grain of salt all ingredients should be listed and supportive peer reviewed research should be available.

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    with the notable exception of protecting against pesticides.
    bees free of mites and thus viral infections will probably withstand more pesticide exposure

you see, we can argue anything and make the case,
    GOTTA HAVE SOME PROOF BEESHIELD
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Show me the MSDS sheet.

Crazy Roland

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    , if I invented a bee health product and put it on the market, it would be backed by solid scientific data showing that it works as claimed. If I couldn't do that, I wouldn't put it on the market.
    That's nice, Except just as I suspected your product does not exist. It's so easy to do everything with nothing. just a dab of imagination and all is possible.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Daniel Y, what would you do?

My first line is bees that are not just in good health. but prime health. that goes further than anything else. I have always found is true no matter what animal it is I am caring for. I tend to take action not when colony is sick. but when it is no longer exceptional. I don't have diseases in my colonies. Twice I have had to deal with varroa in bees that came outside of my apiary. Both cases where treated with OA. The colony was then monitored closely to bring it up to full health. I have also once had tracheal mites in one of my colonies. again in the first bees I purchased. again I treated. Colonies that have declined I consider unacceptable but have never observed mites or any other disease. I would not be surprised to find out that varroa had gotten a foot hold in weakened hives. but restoring the hive to strong health I believe solves any temporary infestation.
    I do not believe you need to treat or apply anything to bees that are strong and healthy. It is what I attribute the success of some treatment free beekeepers to. no need to treat healthy bees. Treatment free is more of a side result.

p-coumaric acid has been found to regulate the immune and detoxifying system of honeybees. *) Could be used in products like bee shield, to protect at least a bit against pesticides and/or diseases. Since you find this stuff in pollen and honey, you simply could feed honey and pollen that is not contaminated with pesticides.

(*) http://www.pnas.org/content/110/22/8842.abstract.html

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    My first line is bees that are not just in good health. but prime health. that goes further than anything else. I have always found is true no matter what animal it is I am caring for. I tend to take action not when colony is sick. but when it is no longer exceptional. I don't have diseases in my colonies. Twice I have had to deal with varroa in bees that came outside of my apiary. Both cases where treated with OA. The colony was then monitored closely to bring it up to full health. I have also once had tracheal mites in one of my colonies. again in the first bees I purchased. again I treated. Colonies that have declined I consider unacceptable but have never observed mites or any other disease. I would not be surprised to find out that varroa had gotten a foot hold in weakened hives. but restoring the hive to strong health I believe solves any temporary infestation.
    I do not believe you need to treat or apply anything to bees that are strong and healthy. It is what I attribute the success of some treatment free beekeepers to. no need to treat healthy bees. Treatment free is more of a side result.
    How many hives do you do all that for?

Daniel Y overwintered 4 hives, and now has 17 hives, and apparently an attitude.
    It is now 17 and climbing. And no I do not credit numbers as evidence. If in fact Mark has 125 times the colonies I do. and requires 180 times the time to tend to them. again I am the more effective beekeeper.
    Note the Mark referred to above is Mark Berninghausen, Sqkcrk. From the same thread, another comment directed at Mark B:
    Maybe you need to get better at your bee work. I have no doubt my work is that much more effective.

(click the blue arrow in the quote box to see the quote in context in the thread)
    -- Victor Hugo -- "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.

"The colony was then monitored closely to bring it up to full health."

Daniel Y,
    How does monitoring a hive closely bring it up to full health? Did you do anything else besides looking at them? In other words, how does the act of monitoring improve the health of a hive?
    Last edited by Haraga; 08-11-2013 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Spelling

It's not the monitoring that does anything. monitoring is one yard stick for everything else you do. Just as I don't think treatment free achieves anything. I don't think it is the lack of treating that causes the improvement. I do believe there is an improvement. I believe it is something more like better beekeeping that results in healthy bees that resist disease. Comments such as "There is more to it than just not treating" indicate such. If it takes more than just not treating. then just what is the not treating part accomplishing? I don't think not treating accomplishing anything. it is the result of many other things. It is evidence that those other things are effective. In the same way monitoring is not the fix. it is evidence that the fix is in fact being applied. and that fix is complicated. it is something more like bee a good keeper. It is being observant. noticing what works and what does not. developing and accuracy to your evaluations. and increasing your skill at management.

As for the quote above. that was in response to Mark claiming he worked more than 2880 hours in one day. and graham thinks that should be taken seriously. I am not kidding. He thinks mark is right. And he thinks I am a fool to say otherwise. All I can say is I am dying to see this clock Mark has.

As for the quote above that was in response to Mark claiming he worked more than 2880 hours in one day. and graham thinks that should be taken seriously. I am not kidding. He thinks mark is right. And he thinks I am a fool to say otherwise. All I can say is I am dying to see this clock Mark has.
    Oh my ......

Here is what Mark actually said:

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    By the way Y, I did more bee work yesterday than you did in the last 6 months and I still have time to take care of internet business. Just saying.
    Its not clear whether DY's clock has stopped, or perhaps his calculator needs adjustment, or what exactly the problem is, but something seems amiss!

And he thinks I am a fool to say otherwise.
    -- Victor Hugo -- "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.

It's not the monitoring that does anything. monitoring is one yard stick for everything else you do.
    Time spent monitoring is time wasted. The trick is to know what your manipulations are going to do before you do them because you aren't going to have time to come back in two days and check. You can't be going back to hive 486 to see if moving frame 2 into the middle had the desired effect or not.

Quote Originally Posted by beeshield View Post
    As i stated in my original thread the studies are to be completed in a week or two
    OK well that was more than 2 weeks ago so be interested to see the studies.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

News Flash! BeeSheild cures Cancer & Aids too

Sketchy Website "http://1stlighttrading.com/index.php/"

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    OK well that was more than 2 weeks ago so be interested to see the studies.
    If you look at my post #23 I think I now know why they have refused to answer my question as to any possible relationship with Sharmrock Apiaries. No response was posted as yet. A little more homework on my part based on clues provided in this thread shows a possible answer.

look at the following links:

http://1stlighttrading.com/index.php/queen-bees/

http://1stlighttrading.com/index.php...ee-shield.html

I posed my original question because we have had some pretty poor experiences ( being kind in my choice of words here) with the principals in the aforementioned company. It was such a bad experience ( loss of time, energy, equipment, poorly raised queen cells unavailable as promised...etc, dealings laced and filled un kept promises) that if I even suspected that there was any relationship between these two operations it would be my recommendation that all persons interested in dealing with these folks do so with much trepidation. When I saw the location red flags went up immediately in my mind. Its there reason I asked.

If you do a whois search on the website owner you will notice that it comes up as being registered through a proxy. This is often done when people are looking to hide their relationship with a company or website. Another red flag in my book. Why in the world is someone with a product out of the Atwater area selling it out of a PO box in Vegas? Another red flag IMO.

I am not saying this product does not work...only warning others to tread cautiously when handing over their hard earned money anyone... especially.......... .

My past experience has been such that even if it the stuff actually lets the bees "walk on water" I couldn't stomach handing over another dime to the folks involved if there is even a possible tinge of relationships between these two outfits.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast