Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Bee Shield

150K views 182 replies 57 participants last post by  Oldtimer 
#1 ·
I went to the south dakota beekeepers meeting and one of the presenters was the creator of a product called Bee Shield. I was wondering if anyone has tried it. He claimed some wild almost unbelievable things as to protecting bees from viruses and pesticides.

#43 ·
this is on their website, does it make any sense to someone who understands the science?

"How does BEE SHIELD™ work?

The properties of BEE SHIELD™ prevent viruses from being able to enter the cellular structures of the bees by not allowing the viruses to attach to the cellular walls of the bee. It doesn’t allow pesticides to be able to enter into the bee’s cells due to its ability to bind to such reactive elements. BEE SHIELD™ works by preventing the protein capsule of a virus from being able to communicate with the glycoproteins or carbohydrate antenna of the cellular membrane of an organism. This prevents cellular uptake of the virus in the form of endocytosis, a process of which introduces the single-stranded DNA and double stranded RNA into the cellular mechanisms of the cell. This does not allow for viral take-over of the organelles in the cellular matrix, stopping viral reproduction"

#44 ·
Here is what I understand from the above. Think of a virus as a piece of a jigsaw puzzle. and it can only attach to a cell if it fits exactly just like any other jigsaw puzzle piece. A virus must attach to a living cell in order to become "Alive" and multiply. Now this is where the puzzle piece analogy begins to be inadequate. But imagine a typical piece of a puzzle that has two coves and to tongues in order to fit the surrounding pieces of the puzzle. If I had a piece of the puzzle I never wanted to fit I could simply fill in one of those notches or coves. or even slightly change the shape of it and the intended piece of the puzzle will never make an exact fit. and an exact fit is the only thing that will do.

In this case the fit is a match of proteins. or maybe it is easier to think of it as a chemical match. What it sounds to me is that they think they have found a way to alter the chemical make up of the cells in a honey bee so that the chemical makeup of the viruses will no longer fit.

Another way to think of it is in comparison to sugar and water or oil and water. the molecules found in water and in sugar are such that they will connect to each other. but the molecules found in oil and water will not. They are trying to make the bees cells and the virus like water and oil.

How realistic that is I will not comment on.

#50 ·
Yes i know its been awhile since I have posted on here i apologize i have been extremely busy and havent had the time to respond and please provide Justin with questions that I will gladly answer and Dave Wick who has been running samples for me will also be there to eplain what the tests are showing, and I will provide names of who is using it and the results they are getting then your going to really freak out when I say I'm working on a natural foul brood treatment and that it works with flying colors, but hey its hard to have light penetrate a closed mind, but that hasn't stopped me yet so please hit me with the best of what you got and have it ready for the show cause i will be ready for it thank you for your inquires

#55 ·
http://www.apidologie.org/index.php...cess=doi&doi=10.1051/apido/2009065&Itemid=129

We evaluated the antagonistic effects of newly identified lactic acid bacteria (LAB) in the genera Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium, originating from the honey stomach, on the honey bee pathogen, Paenibacillus larvae. We used inhibition assays on agar plates and honey bee larval bioassays to investigate the effects of honey bee LAB on P. larvae growth in vitro and on AFB infection in vivo. The individual LAB phylotypes showed different inhibition properties against P. larvae growth on agar plates, whereas a combination of all eleven LAB phylotypes resulted in a total inhibition (no visible growth) of P. larvae. Adding the LAB mixture to the larval food significantly reduced the number of AFB infected larvae in exposure bioassays. The results demonstrate that honey bee specific LAB possess beneficial properties for honey bee health. Possible benefits to honey bee health by enhancing growth of LAB or by applying LAB to honey bee colonies should be further investigated.

#58 ·
The treatment was very successful and we have two different beekeepers using this formula now and feedback from one has shown the same results, the other is just about a week and a half in trials from this date and is documenting results please email me Justin@1stlighttrading.com and I would be glad to discuss with you the results and how and why the product works

light can neither emanate nor penetrate a closed mind-George Sims

#60 ·
> light can neither emanate nor penetrate a closed mind-George Sims

The comment above was in the body of a post, not the signature line. That made me wonder who George Sims is. It appears he is one of those "marketing motivator" types. More info here:
http://georgesims.com/

If you want to add an automatic "signature" to your posts, that can be done in the "Settings" tab at the very top of each page.

#66 ·
Could be. Might even be the same thing? Re bottle, new label. 2 x the price and everyone is happy. So far I haven't seen the claim that even a new beek guy can go from 100 package to 1000 colonies in a single season as was previously touted with the infamous Canadian/Iranian miracle solution! If it was true the whole thing sounds better than the old days!! Bring it on. Might even drink some myself and join Ponce De Leon in his quest for the fountain of youth. Buzz. Buzz

#67 ·
Since the initial suspicions at the beginning of this thread, even more reasons for doubt are becoming apparent. For one, the time line is wrong. For Beesheild, the product is first put on the market and sold as a cure all for AFB and pesticide (99%). AFTER the product is being sold on this basis, a trial is done to see if it works. Trial should have been done FIRST. The once available ingredient list showed nothing that would cure AFB or poison.

Another thing that has SCAM written all over it is the behaviour of the promoter/s. They use similar techniques on the forum to certain types of trolls, ie, not answering awkward questions just ignore them & hope they will go away. Just show up occasionally and make a comment to keep things going. The reason for avoiding proper debate in this way is because with a large readership like Beesource, there will always be that gullible few who will buy the product, those are the ones a thread like this is designed to reach, even despite the obvious flaws.

SECRECY. The "trial", which naturally was a success (we are told) will not be discussed publicly on the forum where it would be subject to scrutiny. That would be too damaging if the trial was not a useful trial, or didn't even take place. Rather, offer to enter into private email discussions with people it is hoped might privately be duped into buying it. The hope is that some people will buy it, and for some of them just by statistical chances their bees will do well, and then glowing reviews can be published.

Quotes from a MARKETING GURU. A marketing guru is often quoted like a mantra. The formula is invent some product - anything. If it has enough buzzwords it will sell if promoted enough. Buzzwords like organic, our common interest, the livelihood of bees, our food supply, etc. Then MARKET it. Even if 1% of the population are duped there is money to be made.

If solid data showing the product claims are true existed, it would surely have been presented by now. The lack of any proper information would make me avoid this product like the plague, it's a scam. A great shame it is even legal.

#69 ·
Does this need a bump or do the people at Shame-rock need one. Not seeing much info on the miraculous tests results posted here. Looks like the marketing came first and the product development is still in process. Little bass ackwards unless the stuff never did work as they have "hinted." As the drunk guy in the old beer jingle used to say "What's up?"

#70 ·
Their web site is up, running, looks good and no doubt selling product to the gullible and uneducated, and bringing in the $$'s for them.

Why would they mess all that up by talking here, where the product might be held up to normal standards of disclosure and sensible scrutiny.

They have lied here, saying "tests" are about to be done / published / whatever, but they never are. Any money they take is by deception, and is theft. They should really be prosecuted, punished, and shut down.

BTW I don't think it is Caspian solution, because that was not organic. BeeSheild is just a mishmash of organic herbs and spices or whatever, that may or may not be helpful to the bees, but will definitely not protect from disease and pesticide (99%). The 99%, is a nice out by the way, if they ever do have a customer complain. "Oh, your bees must be the 1%".

#71 ·
Someone at beeSheild either has a marketing degree or is just excellent at product marketing activities.
They have someone on forums spreading the word and a write up in this months Bee Culture Page 15. The mag printed their claims as facts which is sure to drive in sales.

I'd give their product rollout at least a 8 out of 10.
The video on their main page is great, rock music, sky high claims, no quoted studies or research...but dang the music is catchy and it makes you want the product.

Whether the product works or not is a completely different story. I'd love to hear what legit bee scientists have to say.
There are great lessons to be learned on rolling a product out here, especially for folks with solid endeavors who aren't good at marketing.

#73 ·
I think you have made your point Oldtimer. you think it is snake oil. odds are you are correct. But they way you are like a dog on a bone makes me wonder what you are not saying. what interest do you have in this product? I don't buy the idea that you are just trying to warn people of a scam. you went far beyond that long ago. It now seems to me you have some sort of vendetta or personal bone to pick. I don't think we are getting the full story. and the lies and deception are not just on the part of Bee Shield.

Since when is it some sign of wrong doing to advertise and do it well? You have a point but you are scraping for scraps to make it. that concerns me. Why would you need to take advantage of every tiny contrived or blown out of proportion opportunity to bad mouth this product? And that you have so much good will toward your fellow man I do not buy. This is more of a hatred and that is nto consistent with good will for anyone.

#80 ·
I also have difficulties with suspicious behavior and find Oldtimers behavior suspicious. I do not buy it is just attempting to warn others. that was done adequately long ago. Not only that but such an off the wall claim does not require such attempts to dispute in the first place. If there are those that could be taken in with such and attempt to deceive. sorry but I don't think you have the ability to save them.

So which is the real deception? Beesheilds presentation of their product, or your attempts to insult and antagonize them into not posting anything. Now the very people you claim to be protecting are going out of there way to remain informed about this product. and then dragging that information back here to post links to it. A little like telling folks to stay out of the dark alley so they go down the alley to see what it is to be afraid of. Not exactly working there champ. I don't think that is what you intended and so that is not what happened. In actuality this thread woudl most likely have died off long ago. but now has become a better promotion tool than it woudl have been.

I think you went from asking questions to insulting. and when you did you generated interest in this thread and curiosity on the part of many. You may well have created sympathy for beeshield in the process.

You did get one thing right though. and that is you where trying. you where trying enough to get on my nerves with it. I still think there is more to this than is being seen. I see the evidence I just don't see the full picture. People do things for a reason. and when they start doing things that do not make since. there are reasons we do not know about. And you have been full of not nonsensical behavior. Seems to me there is a lot we do not know. This your brother in law or something? Do you think you have some corner on the treatment market or something. you have some interest in treatments not being found and promoted?

Again where is this reliable evaluation that you offered? Making claims based upon you assumptions? is that what you consider fair impartial and qualified evaluation? Doing just what you offered may require you buy some of this stuff use it and then report on the rustles. nobody says he has to accommodate your offer to evaluate the product. that was your idea. so you carry it out. Nobody asked you to mention a fair evaluation of it. you chose to make that claim all on your own. so deliver it. words are cheap. Can your feet walk the same path you mouth describes? So just who is the shyster full of hot air in this conversation? Just rambling on with empty words and claims? I thought you had a problem with that sort of behavior. Or is that just when you choose to see it in others?

So I will hold you to the exact same thing you get so irritated with Beesheild over. lets so your evaluation of this product. you are the one that said you wanted it or that it is needed. so lets see if it is important enough for you to provide. You are the one that claims it can be provided here. so lets see it. I have yet to see anything yet that resembles it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.