Default Paper combine swarm w/laying worker colony?

I have 4-5 laying worker colonies. I was thinking that I would put a 10 frame deep w/swarm colony under laying worker colony separated by paper.
    All laying worker colonies have good population of bees. The swarms also have good population.

Any suggestions? I have read a few posts on "shaking out" laying worker colonies. Seems like a queen & bees is a better way than to keep introducing larvae until they take.

Will the laying worker be a threat to the queen?
    Rmns 1:16/Prv.3:5,6/ Beegan BK May 09/ Zone 5b
    I have NOT failed. I have only found many many ways that do not work!

Default Re: Paper combine swarm w/laying worker colony?

I have had some success putting a working colony or strong nuc on top of the laying worker hive using the newspaper method. If i don't have a hive or nuc to spare, i just dump the bees out of the laying worker hive and remove the hive and anything else in that spot. The bees can find another hive to go to and i use there drawn comb to start a new hive or jump start a new hive. You can waste to much time and money trying to save a laying worker hive that will probably end up as a deadout anyway, when you can take there resources and have a good working hive.If you want to play around or experiment trying to save a laying worker hive, that's another story.

I am wanting only to keep the large population of bees doing what they do. four teeming hives.....queenless....& turning good comb into drone comb.

I've heard (first hand from someone who's made it work) that this can be a bit dangerous for the queen, but that if you put lots of paper, *lots* between the two hives, that you can get them to combine. If I was doing this I think I'd try it w/one while I gave the others larvae/eggs to keep them going. If you can make it work then it may be worthwhile doing it with the rest.

What I was thinking of doing, and never had need to yet, was like what you are saying BUT in addition... move frames around in the laying worker hive. Jumble up the brood frames, move some to other boxes, take outside frames move inside. I read/heard that if you mess up the brood pattern, the queen will kind of stop laying and get the hive a bit out of sorts. MAYBE it would act this way on a laying worker just enough for a new queen to establish herself. I figure in your case it cant hurt at all to try if you are going to do the newpaper method. Seems like this would increase your chances..

I've done the shake method and it works pretty good. I take the hive 100 yards away shake all the bees. All the workers will return and the laying worker won't know how to get back to the hive. I then pull some frames from other hives and introduce a caged queen or give them fresh eggs and the will raise there own. I prefer a caged queen.

I recently did the paper combine with two laying worker hives and two new swarms. I was told that the new Queen and the laying worker would fight it out and the Queen would be put at a risk of dieing. After catching several swarms this spring I figured I didn't have much to lose. So I did it and now these two hives have become very strong, both Queens must have won because that are laying machines. I have placed honey supers on both of these hives last week and they are putting away nectar. I guess I have gotten lucky. But in this business, I would take luck any day. I have been told that you don't always have to be a good beekeeper to keep bees, but you do have to have some good luck and fortune come your way. With that said, if you have the resources then try it. Good Luck. Keep us posted.

Thanks for the input, good posts. I have caught 10 swarms this year so far so I guess I have nothing to lose. Hopefully I can get time this week to do it......Thursday maybe?

Some on here have mentioned using a double screen board between the laying worker and the queen right hive for a while, then paper combine.
    Bill