Thread: removing drones

Default removing drones

I think this is a positive thing.

My workers are removing drones from the hive I requeened. I looked in after about a week and a half (went on vacation) and they had released her and I have eggs and larvae and capped worker cells. Today they are dragging out drones. It's July. Is this because they are getting the population to proportion? Could it be because resources are low? I have fed them back their own honey and they have taken it all back except about 3/4 of a cup. Should I feed them sugar syrup?

Any feedback appreciated.

Default Re: removing drones

Is your flow over down there? Hauling out drones is a sign they are getting ready for winter. Up here I see that late August/September.

today it looked like they were kicking the drones out. My hive has swarmed twice.... I noticed quite a bit of drone cells a couple weeks ago. I thought this was way to early for getting rid of the drones. We're in a full nectar flow here....
    BTW- the drones are huge...

all this swarming makes me think I am not inserting enough bars in when they are needed. I am planning to really try and watch this queen. My hive now looks pretty calm and no returning drones. I'll see about my flow here in western NC. My drones were also huge.

The girls in one of our hives went all crazy today. Before work I did a quick hive check and I thought there was some robbing going on, but then I realized they were hauling out drones. I saw several on the ground as well. This evening I checked in the window and I saw the aftermath of their murderous rage. Lots of dead drones and the girls were trying to haul those huge suckers up the walls. They needed to go, they were sucking down too much stores.