Default Dadant Garden Hive

http://www.dadant.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=1255
    We are still in the beginning stages of beekeeping. By that I mean, we haven't even decided on what type of hive to get. We are planning on getting 4-5 hives. I want to get a hive that the bees will do good in but also something that looks nice. I've fallen for Dadant's Garden hives. Does anyone have one of these and, if so, what is your opinion. Should I consider a different hive?
    Thanks,
    Andrea

Default Re: Dadant Garden Hive

Hi Andrea, and Welcome, First, consider cost. U can get a fully functional hive for much less than buying a garden hive. Also, check what the cost would be to buy the brood boxes and supers (either assembled or unassembled) from Mann Lake, where u will get free shipping, U can also buy a garden hivery style top from them. If u check around, u can probably do what u want to do, but at a much better price. If money is not an issue, then go with what u want.

Plus the pitch roof make it impossible to use to set boxes on. In fact I have start using lids to control dripping honey going to the Extractor
    David

I don't have experience with this product.

But, you should consider that this hive is 8 frame deep boxes. Brushy Mountain sells a similar hive with medium boxes. I bring this up to encourage you to evaluate before you buy as to the reason you are buying 8 frame boxes. If weight is a key consideration, you may be happier skipping the deeps and using only medium boxes. More on that concept here:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beeseightframemedium.htm

On the other hand, 8 frame mediums are a significantly smaller volume than a traditional 10 frame deep with medium supers. Less volume per box means more boxes will be needed, at a greater overall cost.

All of the different box sizes will work for the bees. So spend some time thinking what is best for you. Almost any hive can be made to look pretty, but box size is more difficult to change once you have started down a particular path.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

My first hive was a Garden Hive (Brushy Mtn all medium.) From that I've learned a lot. All my subsequent hives are plain flat top mediums. The copper top looks beautiful, and you may want one as a showpiece in your garden. I enjoy looking at mine. I don't like working it as the top is heavy to lift (a regular telescoping cover can be handled with one hand but the garden top needs two), is awkward to place while the hive is open, and isn't stackable for placing hive boxes on while you're working your hives. The medium size is great. I'm glad I went with that for all my hives and nucs. It makes life easy when I need a spare box on short notice. Good luck, and have fun!

Thanks everyone for your replies. I finally had a chance to shop around and make some choices. I think we're going with Mann Lake. That free shipping is always nice. All un-assembled since we are do-it-yourselfers. 10 frame seemed to pop up more than 8 frame so 10 frame it is. I'm getting the 10 frame 9 5/8" kit and also purchased (2) 10 frame 6 5/8" hive body/super. It'll be more along the lines of the traditional hive I suppose. That'll be the first of our hives. I'm really excited about getting this ball rolling. Placing my order this week.

I am making all of my hives out of Red Cedar, 8 frame deeps, with a cedar gable roof and a nice cedar stand similar to the garden hive. I have the saws and can make my own any way I want to. The gable roofs and angle stands look pretty sharp in the back yard. If you have the money, go for it. It is a hobby so money is really no object.

I have seen many beekeepers use hives that are ugly and half rotten. They are hidden away in out yards, but they still produce.