Smile EAS Preview of the new Beetle Baffle for Small Hive Beetles.

I have been chosen to be one of the two distributors for the Beetle Baffle and it's going to go on sale at our booth at EAS, August 5th. You can read about it at www.beetlebaffle.com.
    As soon as we get our delivery, which would be shortly after EAS, we will be selling them on our website.
    Bringing a pallet of Screened Bottom Boards. Need weatherproofed boxes? Email me if you want to pre-order at rubes@countryrubes.com
    And at EAS, mention Beesource and get a free entrance reducer!
    Looking forward to seeing you there.
    Janet

Default Re: EAS Preview of the new Beetle Baffle for Small Hive Beetles.

Can't really find any information on the website.... pictures?

Would like the website to show the product.

They just put up the website and will have pictures soon.
    After I saw the originals, I asked for some adjustments so they fit our equipment better and they went back to the shop. I don't even have a prototype. A patent was just applied for.
    As soon as they post their pictures, I'll let you all know. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up, something new is coming. The inventor will be at EAS and I'm setting him up at our table with a slide show.

So . . . You don't know what it looks like, you haven't touched even a prototype, you've never put it into your hives, you have no idea if it works, you don't have the product on hand (but you expect to by EAS) . . . But you'll be happy to sell me one? Happy to sell me something you have no idea if it works? I think I'll pass.

Sounds interesting......waiting on pictures and more info.
    ----
    Joe

All that is true, except, I do know what it looks like and I've seen the prototypes, but I can't publish that info until the owner is ready.
    I cannot even sell you one right now if you wanted one. And I personally have not tested it. We are in California and don't even have small hive beetles. It's been tested in several southern states. And Fred Rossman, the other distributor is located in Georgia has been working with this product and submitting his ideas. The inventor has been tweeking it hear and there and then I asked for modifications, so back to the shop. Once we get it, there will be pictures and reports. Like I said, just giving you a heads up on a new product.

Specialkayme, just remember the Russell fiasco and be slow to make judgments so you don't have to backpedal. Vendors sell, that's what they do, so of course they will be happy to sell you the trap.
    Regards, Barry

We read you loud and clear. We appreciate your patience as we stand up the site--thankfully, the people who do the real work have been at this project a great deal longer than I have.

We've added a lot of new pictures on the Product Info section of the website, and there will be more to come over the next three days.

Additionally, if you have specific questions or anything you'd like to see, ask us at service@beetlebaffle.com. We'll be happy to answer any questions you have. We want you to be able to make an informed decision, so fire away.

Thanks for your time and your comments.

Pictures are posted here. http://www.beetlebaffle.com/the-beet.../product-info/
    It's pretty interesting. The angle of the metal prevents the beetles from climbing up the walls of the hive. The bees chase them up to the channel and the beetles can only follow the channels and cannot crawl over them.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    and be slow to make judgments
    If anything it has left me more cynical, and quicker to call things out that don't seem right to me.

If memory serves me, others were quick to make judgments, and I was ridiculed for being slow to make the same judgments.

Quote Originally Posted by 2rubes View Post
    Thank you for the pictures. Very helpful.

The site mentions "patent pending" but then says "Please understand that the need to protect our intellectual property has restricted the use of pictures, drawings, diagrams, etc." If you have filed your patent, why do you need to restrict the use of photos? Your intellectual property rights should be protected.

I'm also confused on how this works. It appears to stop the beetles from crawling up the sides of the box, transferring to the other box. But so what? The channel doesn't collect or kill the beetles. Just restricts their movement. At least till they fly (oh yeah, they can do that) or find some brace comb somewhere.

I just don't understand. Maybe I'm missing something.

The patent has just been applied and more and more pictures are being put up. I got some protoypes yesterday, but now we have another correction before the final version.
    I am sending one set each to a few of our customers (who have beetle areas) to try them out.
    You are right, it's to prevent the adult beetle from getting into the comb. It doesn't kill them, it helps breaks the cycle.
    I wondered what would stop the beetles from flying into the comb, but apparently they don't once they get into the hive. They don't hop and there isn't enough room for them to fly so they crawl up the walls.
    Other things I have learned about Small Hive Beetles is that they hate light. So if you have a oil tray underneath your screen and shine a very bright light into the hive, they will run away from it and end up in the screen.
    FYI Have you all seen Jerry Freeman's Youtube of him dusting his hive with powdered sugar http://youtu.be/Ld7rRC6S2S
    Jerry ends up with SHB's in his tray. I wonder what the effect of powdered sugar has on the beetles. Jerry said at one time, it irritated the bees to chase the beetles, and I was just told, it was the light causing the beetles to run down through the screen into the tray. We were dusting with PS a lot before we went to small cell, which is working for us (we still dust a couple of times a year, just to be sure. When we dusted a few weeks ago, 6 hives 3 mites).
    When we dusted a hive for the first time, the bees were irritated and angry, but after dusting the hive a 2nd and 3rd time, the bees had a more curious sound and pretty much ignored the dusting. A neighbor who caught a swarm told me, she knew it wasn't from our operation because the bees were pretty angry when she dusted them.

Quote Originally Posted by 2rubes View Post
    So if you have a oil tray underneath your screen and shine a very bright light into the hive, they will run away from it and end up in the screen. ......... and I was just told, it was the light causing the beetles to run down through the screen into the tray.
    When I open a hive and bright sunshine is shining down into it, I see SHB on the of the frames .... they are not running from the light ........
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for Oxalic Acid Vaporizers

Good to know. Thanks.
    The way it was explained to me was, SHB's move and fly at night. There eyes don't handle sunlight. Bees come and go from the bright sunlight to the dark hive and eyes adjust quickly. And pictures that I've seen, when you open the lid, the SHB's start running away. But again, I have nothing to look at.
    I'm going to EAS and have Monday free. I'll bring my veil. Anyone around West Chester or Philadelphia with SHB's?? I'll have one last prototype. I'll be leaving Philadelphia in the morning.
    This could be fun!
    Janet

The SHB in my hives run when I open the top and expose them to light! Sometimes they run faster than my hive tool ...
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I've heard of people warding off SHB issues by using a plexiglass hive cover. So maybe there is some truth to the sunlight thing.

As a word of caution, i've also heard people turning a hive into a solar wax melter with a plexiglass hive cover. Be careful.

The beetle baffle seems to be an excellent IPM/exclusion idea! Hive body rotation would become a little difficult, but if the baffle on the hive body were only secured with something easily removed (shallow hex-head "zip" [sheet metal] screws come to mind) it could be handled easily. And because Aethina tumida does have a tendency to run from light (generally...--you will find exceptions, as with anything in life), you may be able to get away from using that particular baffle at all and still have very good results! Anyway...as a PCO/Beekeeper, I personally find the idea both intriguing and promising.

We are getting great reports back from the Beetle Baffle. We are now mounting the Beetle Baffle on weatherproof spacers so you can just put the assembly on your screened bottom boards and then put your hive body on top of that http://store.countryrubes.com/beetlebaffle-1.aspx
    They are easy to put together and easy to use and no tools needed.