Default BRIGHT red pollen

I've been watching my bees recently and the last few weeks they've been hauling in generic yellow pollen. Today I checked and they were hauling in all colors. some dark almost black. some white and some candy apple red! Is that natural or are they collecting something weird?

Default Re: BRIGHT red pollen

Someone drop m&m's around the area lately? lol

They will store many of the pollen sources seperately. I'd like to see a picture of the comb once they have stored this rainbow of colors. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it lasts for an unreasonable amount of time (through a derth period, or something). Good luck!
    "Life will find a way - it always finds a way." -Jurassic Park (MOVIE/BOOK)
    USDA Zone 5a

haha cool. ok. so I also shouldn't be worried about the "black" cells I saw around brood. its probably just that dark pollen the're bringing in and not mold?

Most likely just pollen. No worries, cnt. Pictures never hurt.
    The inside of a hive is suprisingly clean... mold will only be present if you have excess moisture in your hives, and it would probably not be limited to a few cells. I imagine most mold would be on/near the inner or top cover.
    Besides, if you are seeing the bees bring the dark pollen into the hive, then no worries... its just dark pollen.
    "Life will find a way - it always finds a way." -Jurassic Park (MOVIE/BOOK)
    USDA Zone 5a

here's a gallary. I wasn't able to get the bee with the red pollen to pose so the first two pics make it hard to make out. but I got good pics of yellow and white.
    http://imgur.com/a/FqoA1

I have trumpet vine in my yard and my neighbors, I noticed the bees visiting them. They are coming back with nice orange almost red pollen.

Black, which may be dark purple, is fireweed in my area. Gray green is rose hip or wild rose.
    My bees can hold it !

comb 5.7.13 (1 of 1).jpg here's a look at the colors that my girls were bringing in early May... so amazing how many different pollen colors there are!

Wow. That's pretty crazy! Out of curiosity where/why did you cut that comb?

I notice my bees bringing in white/greyish pollen when they've been visiting clover. Looks dirty.

I have another question, when happens to the pollen comb? Do the bees feed on it? Does it ever get emptied out? My pollen comb is the first comb the top bar hive. It blocks the brood comb from the elements/wind.

I have a un-modified warre... this comb fell off the bar early on and I wasn't able to reattach it. They made a new pollen comb though, and the hive is now 4 solid boxes high, FULL of bees and about to get a 5th box... I've heard we are supposed to be in lull right now, but they are bringing in nectar still and building comb like crazy!