Default Pollen and Nectar

WHen my bees are coming in to the hive 2-3 in 10 with a lot of pollen, is that at least an indicator that they are bringing in nectar? I know certain plants are different, but I am just looking for some visual indicators that a flow is still on. Comments/opinions please. Thanks.

Default Re: Pollen and Nectar

Look at the bee's abdomen, if it's plump then she's got nectar, if you have allot of plump bees you're in a flow.

Seeing the flowers in bloom that you know have nectar is another indication.

They are bring in a little, clover is still going good.

Thanks, my clover is real good right now. Several flowering trees as well. I like to look for the little visual aids. Rose of Shron bushes are huge right now.

"Does this nectar make me look fat"?

Another nube question. This afternoon, HUGE, cloud of Bees in front of the hive. No entrance restrictions etc. Since I read they the bees know what is going on, can I take this monster activity to mean that they are finding nectar? Thx.

> This afternoon, HUGE, cloud of Bees in front of the hive.

I don't think that there is a direct connection between a cloud of bees and nectar availability. The cloud could be "orientation" of new bees. This often happens in the afternoon.

A large could of bees could also be part of a swarm.
    Graham
    -- The real problem is not precise language, it's clear language. - Richard Feynman

I am 2 hours east, and pretty much a dearth here, although its much better this week than the last 3 (finaily stopped raining)

A "cloud" is probably orintation flights. normaly happens in the afternoons(no set time) you will see a whole bunch hovering for about 20 minutes, and then they will seem to be back to normal...

If you look close you wil see them moving back and fortha nd up and down farther and farther away, then takeing off into the wild blue....
    They are backing up and takeing a look at the house ...

Thanks for the input everyone! Beautifully morning out. Bees are really flying 100 to 150 a minute leaving the hive. 4 to 5 in 10 with a good load of orange or yellow pollen. When there is a dearth do the bees fly less and the few flying keep the rest of the hive informed?

They send out scout bee's to find pollen and nectar source.