Default How do you keep honey out of the Bee Vacuum?

Did another cut out and had a ton of bees, but they drowned in honey. How do you keep it out of the vac?

Default Re: How do you keep honey out of the Bee Vacuum?

anyone??

We need some more info. Like how are you vac? Some thing is wrong with your set up. Look up Robo bee vac his ideas are one of the better ones out there.
    David

When I vacuum bees I use just enough vacuum to capture the bees. You must be using too much vacuum if its moving liquid.

That's what I thought too much suction.

if the bees looked like they were WET too much VAC. and too hot in box -take them out of vac box as soon as possible after vacuum -use your vents as vacuum regulators--- also keep your suction hose short as possible --this might not be right for you but it works fine for me --I use the VAC. about 80% of the time on swarms --unless they are on a small limb ----where they can be drop them in a box

You may not be sucking it in, if they get too hot they will regurgitate their honey and its. Mess

A Bushkill vac allows you to easily control the suction. The bees can crawl up onto comb to cluster and are not held in bulk like in a bucket or box vac. The healthy bees can also walk up and away from dirt, dead bees, honey soaked bees and injured bees.

yep odfrank --that is why I use a "deep" sandwich between [2] boxes I suck them in the bottom box--- use the vacuum to draw out of the top box --when done all you have to do is set your deep on a bottom board and add your inter & outer covers----I have frames with draw comb in the deep --spray a little sugar water on them

Keep the vac off the comb comb. Only use enough vac to suck up the bees.

>How do you keep it out of the vac?

My solution was to stop using a vac. The bees regurgitate when they get hot. That's where most of the honey comes from. I would NEVER vacuum them on a hot day. But then I never vacuum them at all anymore because of exactly what you experienced.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    >How do you keep it out of the vac?My solution was to stop using a vac. The bees regurgitate when they get hot. That's where most of the honey comes from. I would NEVER vacuum them on a hot day. But then I never vacuum them at all anymore because of exactly what you experienced.
    Michael, it is sad when you give such self assured, poor advice. Most of the readers of this message board consider you to be God, hang on your every word like it is gospel from the bible. So please get some experience with a Bushkill vac before you condemn vacuuming again. I have done numerous cutouts and swarms in all weather and almost haven't killed a bee. And the queen survived every one. The bees that do die get bumped by the nozzle.

A Bushkill vac allows you to easily control the suction. The bees can crawl up onto comb to cluster and are not held in bulk like in a bucket or box vac. The healthy bees can also walk up and away from dirt, dead bees, honey soaked bees and injured bees. With low suction you do not suck honey. The bees are ventilated by the flow of air through the super and do not suffocate or overheat. Get the right vacuum and you won't kill bees.
    Last edited by odfrank; 07-25-2013 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    Michael, it is sad when you give such self assured, poor advice.
    I agree with you on the Bushkill, but I see all sorts of make shift beevacs and folks who don't know how, or more importantly when not to use them. I think Michaels advice is pretty sound.

Don

I built my own box, hose in one side, window screen in side for the bees to hit coming in, and hose out to the shop vac. Once I got the suction to just enough that they could not fly or crawl back out the hose it works great hot or cold days. It's not pretty or professional but it works for me. If you are sucking honey your suction is to strong.

Sounds like too much suction. Knowing when/how to use a vac is important. I find using a bee vac really stresses the bees, but it's also pretty hot here.

I have wine corks in my vac filter, that I can add/remove to adjust the suction. If I plan to kill the hive (AHB territory) than I'm fully corked.
    My wife says I have ADD, but, hey look- a chicken!

>...So please get some experience with a Bushkill vac before you condemn vacuuming again.

I have had several vacuums, with quite fine adjustment on the vacuum. It doesn't seem worth trying another one...

It's the hot day that does them in most often, and vacuuming is just unnecessary. Other than cleaning up the last of the stragglers, I don't see the point. If I get all of the brood in the cutout and keep shaking bees in, the rest will move in anyway.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF