Default Sourwood flow in NE Tenn/ SW VA

Anyone know how the sourwood flow is doing in NE Tenn and SW VA? From the several in bloom sourwood trees I have checked, I did not notice honey bees working the blooms.

Thanks
    Shane

Default Re: Sourwood flow in NE Tenn/ SW VA

Have sourwood blooming here

Blooming in E. Tenn, but enough with the rain we need a break.

Quote Originally Posted by keswickb View Post
    Have sourwood blooming here

Have you noticed any increase from the sourwood flow? Our hives in Wise stored sourwood honey, but since it has been so rainy, they have not increased any from the sourwood flow. In fact, they are lighter now than before the sourwood flow. Maybe they had to use some of their honey stores to make it through all of the rain we have had lately. Our hives in Big Stone Gap have stored some sourwood honey, but not a lot. One hive maybe a full super, and the other hives a partial.

Shane

Just got back from bee yard. Sourwood still in bloom, secondary bloom and very little being put up. As a matter of fact they are going more for the Scarlett Sumac and bringing it in pretty good. If we get a week of good weather maybe it won't be a total loss but if we do make any its going to be a small amount.

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedRooster View Post
    Just got back from bee yard.
    Where is your sourwood beeyard?
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Bledsoe county Tennessee. About an hour north of Chattanooga

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedRooster View Post
    Just got back from bee yard. Sourwood still in bloom, secondary bloom and very little being put up. As a matter of fact they are going more for the Scarlett Sumac and bringing it in pretty good. If we get a week of good weather maybe it won't be a total loss but if we do make any its going to be a small amount.
    That is pretty much what we are seeing here as well. We have a lot of native sourwoods. I have yet to see a heavy flow.

Shane

We have sourwood in full bloom on my side of the mountain as well. But like you I am not seeing much action around them. But I promise you don't step in my yard you will get stung they are wearing the white clover out as well as thistle has started here and they are all over it. Sumac is just about over I believe they was brining in what they could of that between all the rain drops. I still have supers setting full but its been so wet they just cant seem to get it dried and capped. I pulled over 20 gallon so far and figure I still have 35+ full supers to pull when there ready.

Quote Originally Posted by darrellva View Post
    We have sourwood in full bloom on my side of the mountain as well. But like you I am not seeing much action around them. But I promise you don't step in my yard you will get stung they are wearing the white clover out as well as thistle has started here and they are all over it. Sumac is just about over I believe they was brining in what they could of that between all the rain drops. I still have supers setting full but its been so wet they just cant seem to get it dried and capped. I pulled over 20 gallon so far and figure I still have 35+ full supers to pull when there ready.
    Great job on the production. Thistle is in bloom here as well. We have a few types of Sumac here, their names I don't know. One has bloomed, at least in part, and a few others come after sourwood. Our Big Stone apiary had minimal clover (my favorite type of honey), we are surrounded by forest. Let's hope for the best.

Shane

But I promise you don't step in my yard you will get stung they are wearing the white clover out as well as thistle has started here and they are all over it.

Yeah I can verify that mine are a little testy too. Got popped ontne end of the thumb and back of the hand within seconds of each other. Thankfully it was the last hive of the day but it sure is itching like crazy.