Default European Hornets around my hives...

Went to my bees (I am a new bee keeper and have 12 hives as of this year) today and saw about 20 of the massive wasps circling the area. I have since found out that they are known as the European hornet. Do I move the bees from that location (not easy at the moment)? Do I have any other options (apart from quiting)?

Default Re: European Hornets around my hives...

I would try wasp/hornet entrapment cones. You can find them at any Home Depot and I have found them to work excellent. Just hang them from something close to your hives. I've never seen one of my bees in one either. Good luck

I have watched a European Hornet enter my hives. . It wasn't pretty for the hornets. Same thing with Wasps. . They come around occasionally. . try time and again. They eventually gave up and abandoned their efforts.

Thanks. I will set up some traps. Just looked up how to make some home made ones. I observed them today and there were 5 at any one time, picking up bees and flying off with them. Killed a few with a spade that was handy but forgot to take them home for identifcation purposes. I am pretty sure they are european and not asian. I do not think the asian hornet has reached greece yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vallejo64 View Post
    I would try wasp/hornet entrapment cones. You can find them at any Home Depot and I have found them to work excellent. Just hang them from something close to your hives. I've never seen one of my bees in one either. Good luck

I have made my bee entrances so small that even the bee can only JUST squeeze under them. No chance of a hornet getting inside haha ) Just concerned about the amount of worker bees that are being consumed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proskene View Post
    I have watched a European Hornet enter my hives. . It wasn't pretty for the hornets. Same thing with Wasps. . They come around occasionally. . try time and again. They eventually gave up and abandoned their efforts.

the only problem is that the hornets will sometime set up shop and catch the bees as they are coming out. They will just hover until no more bees come out of the hive. They catch them as they are coming out, bite the head off and then drop them. (seen on video) But if the hornet tries to enter the hive, the honey bees can not kill it outright, but they ball the hornet and start vibrating to increase their temperature. The honey bees, can create a cluster temp which is high enough to kill the hornet.
    "You have to put down the ducky if you wanna play the Saxophone!" Mr .Hoot

I think the video you are talking about is one about Asian Hornets (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ1eAM8CChc) It a National Geograpgh production. Not sure that European Hornets have the same stategy. Although I need to verify the type of hornets I have as yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldprospector View Post
    the only problem is that the hornets will sometime set up shop and catch the bees as they are coming out. They will just hover until no more bees come out of the hive. They catch them as they are coming out, bite the head off and then drop them. (seen on video) But if the hornet tries to enter the hive, the honey bees can not kill it outright, but they ball the hornet and start vibrating to increase their temperature. The honey bees, can create a cluster temp which is high enough to kill the hornet.

I'd see if I could find the wasp/hornet nest & destroy it. Last year, I found a wasp nest about 50 feet from our hives. A little diesel fuel sprayed over the entrance until they stopped coming out, after dark, and a match fixed that problem//made a good torch.

I live in Greece and wild fires are a major problem here, so probably not the best solution. Although if I find it I am sure there are other solutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by bolter View Post
    I'd see if I could find the wasp/hornet nest & destroy it. Last year, I found a wasp nest about 50 feet from our hives. A little diesel fuel sprayed over the entrance until they stopped coming out, after dark, and a match fixed that problem//made a good torch.

Once you spray the hive with diesel the wasps are dead, or mostly dead anyway - they quit coming out & you can remove the hive to a safe area for disposal. the hive (grapefruit size +) I got was in a tree so, after spraying, I cut the branch off & took it to the lane where I burnt it to finish off any left inside + the larvae - hence torch reference.