Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Clone Wars AmJHAMT vs. JHAMT

Molecular Cloning and Characterization of Juvenile Hormone Acid Methyltransferase in the Honey Bee, Apis mellifera, and Its Differential Expression during Caste Differentiation

AmJHAMT gene cloned from honey bee larvae encodes a juvenile hormone acid methyltransferase that catalyzes the final methylation of JH biosynthesis. Phylogenetic analysis shows that AmJHAMT is clustered with all other Hymenopteran JHAMT orthologs to form an independent major clade. Significant differences between the temporal AmJHAMT mRNA and protein expression profiles in queen and worker larvae suggest that proper developmental regulation of this gene is crucial for female caste differentiation in Apis mellifera. Additionally, remarkable down-regulation of AmJHAMT from the end of L5 to Pw in both queens and workers indicates that suppression of this gene might play an important role in the metamorphosis of honey bees. More studies are needed to further explore these functions of AmJHAMT in honey bee physiology.
    http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0068544
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Default Re: Clone Wars AmJHAMT vs. JHAMT

Can we have a translation please? Reads like Greek to me.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

It is a bunch of sciency stuff that would make you sound smarter if you memorize it. Genetics is a specialized field above some entomologist heads.
    Better question is what does the Cape Bee, Apis mellifera capensis worker bee have?
    americasbeekeeper.com

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasBeekeeper View Post
    It is a bunch of sciency stuff that would make you sound smarter if you memorize it.
    Then why post it? No one is going to memorize it. Unless you want to comment on a study, it's frowned upon to simply post links to various studies.
    Regards, Barry

It is emerging bee research, similar and frequently identical to that released by a well known bee journal. Beekeepers come in all levels of understanding. Some that understand these studies and some that tell us how to manage our hives based on what they will do when they get their first hive.
    americasbeekeeper.com

If you take this post with all the other posts gleaned from a search - juvenile and hormone - of the forum it makes a lot more sense since JHMAT is a consideration with nutrition, treatment, varroa, gentleness. It is the Imidacloprid of genetics but on the good side..
    americasbeekeeper.com

It's a study showing that juvenille hormone and the enzyme juvenille hormone methyltransferase are expressed at higher levels in queen caste development when compared to worker caste development.

That's all folks.

It is emerging bee research, similar and frequently identical to that released by a well known bee journal.
    That's fine, but unlike a journal that is static, this is a discussion board where things are discussed. So if you want to post current studies, also include your take on it or what it is that you find relevant or of particular importance. Perhaps a new forum should be made just for posting current studies?
    Regards, Barry

I wish there was a Current Study or Scientific Research forum. My profession limits me from offering opinions or conclusions beyond the study.
    americasbeekeeper.com

Are you limited because you're faculty at USF and it would be misconduct, or do you mean something else?

My profession limits me from offering opinions or conclusions beyond the study.

By picking and choosing which abstracts to post, you are drawing conclusions and proselytizing your opinion.
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 12 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

Not really.

When I post a paper, and dig into to it, I don't have the same restrictions as a faculty member (although I'm a former faculty member).

He would have to go through different venues.

You can't critique a colleague except through certain venues.

You could be dismissed for such an infraction.

It's true.

It's true.

What's true? We have no idea what Americasbeekeeper's profession is, so how can you assure us that his profession does indeed allow him to post articles, but then make no comments about the research contained in the articles?

I am sure Americasbeekeeper's is a very nice person who is quite intelligent. But it just seems extremely odd to me to post to a discussion forum journal article abstracts with absolutely no accompanying explanation or other comment.

I am only just one person here on Beesource, but, to me, at least, Americasbeekeeper's posts are meaningless as well as odd.
    --shinbone

I am an Apiary Inspector Supervisor for the State of Florida. We are also part of IFAS, partnered with the University of Florida. I cannot release my own thoughts, ideas, opinions. They must go through PAO. We also sign non-disclosure agreements with UF.
    So I cannot publish anything that is not already available publicly.
    If you know how many Apiary Inspector Supervisors there are in the USA, I am extremely odd! Besides being a retired Marine! There is also one government document that has not been revised since 1775 that calls me a peculiar person. It is the Bible used to swear witnesses at trials.
    americasbeekeeper.com

I cannot release my own thoughts, ideas, opinions. They must go through PAO.
    Personally, I couldn't work for anyone that controlled my thoughts, ideas and opinions. Pretty sad if that's the case for you.
    Regards, Barry

Americasbeekeeper's - Thanks for the additional info. I still suggest that selecting and posting certain journal articles is in fact publicising your opinion. If you truly are not allowed by your job to voice your own opinion about bee matters, you might consider taking a second look at your posting of abstracts.
    --shinbone

I read this publication fairly fast. So may well have missed something?

I do not consider Plosone a particularly high class journal. They regularly solicit me to publish there. I am a major nobody in the world of genetics. Tells me they are very hungry for authors.

I see no reason that one beek in 10,000 would have any interest in this article. In the first place it leaps to a number of conclusions that are not justified by the data I gleaned on a fast read. If the data exists to justify those conclusions it sure is not very obvious.

The long and short of the article is that queens have higher concentration of one juvenile hormone (JH) than workers both as larva and adults. So what? After all I would expect some differences in chemistry between workers and queens. That is part of what makes them workers and queens. The article also states that the low JH in workers leads to cell death in ovaries during early development. Again, so what? None of this is the slightest use today in producing excellent queens or healthy workers for the beek. It might be of help if a lot more research was published? Who knows? This does not mean the work is useless at all. It is the kind of basic work that needs to be done in order to do meaningful work in the future. Much of the time such basic research seems useless, and a waste of time and money, to the regular person but it can lay the ground work for future practical discoveries. All practical discoveries start with stuff like this.

The most interesting part of the publication may be the source of the research. China. The Chinese have a lot of people to feed and are doing a lot of very fundamental research on Ag issues. They seem willing to grind out data using less than state of the art equipment and methods fairly often in order to learn fundamental things about Ag issues. My guess is that the future of Ag GMO may well lay much more in China than in Dupont or Monsanto simply because they seem to be grinding out a fair hunk of such basic background information. What you also do not know is what they know that they did not publish. It is entirely possible what they know but did not publish is of practical value. For example are some chemicals antagonists to JH? Either chemicals in the environment or chemicals used to treat mites for instance? Such chemical exposures would likely lead to early queen failure. Or conversely do some chemicals boost JH activity? That might lead to laying worker problems. Could some chemical be added to queen grafts to boost JH and lead to super queens? All of those types of knowledge could flow logically from these findings. And, as a technoligist by training I will tell you right now that the best odds are that this information leads to nothing of use at all. The reason is simple. That is the end result of most basic research. One time in 100 does it lead to practical solutions to problems if you are lucky. The winning investment strategy is to bet against technology most of the time. But once in a while betting against technology does not win and something real practical results.

I indeed post all PLOS articles about bees or biologically close enough to relate to bees.
    americasbeekeeper.com

Thanks Richard Cryberg!

Also, posters could probably explain their post as well (well, that is an assumption) if they chose.

What is PAO, another NSA?
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

Public Affairs Office
    americasbeekeeper.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast