Default Latest removal date

Have two nice hives located at a friend's house. They want them gone. But just due to job, life, and such, the soonest they want the walls to be pulled open are in September. If i was to remove these hives, what chance do they have of surviving the winter.

I am located on the Gulf Coast, south of Houston, near Galveston. The area that has winter for only about 40 days.

I will try to keep as much comb and honey as possible, and would be willing to feed them sugar water.

Asking the guys with experience removing and keeping hives for advice. Am i wasting time trying to collect them or do I just tell them to call the bug man.

thanks

pat

Default Re: Latest removal date

I would do it, even if you don't get any bees to keep. I just finished bottling about 5 gallons of Sweet Honey. I don't know what you get for your honey but I am selling 3/4 of a pound for $10.00 and no one is batting an eye at it. It will be gone soon. And this is just the start of harvesting the honey.

Think about it for a second. These hives that you are removing is just that.... well established hives with all the stores they need to survive the winter.
    They are just like your hives, except in a wall. If they are properly removed and all the stores are kept with them (brood on bottom, honey on top), they will be just fine.
    I've had cutouts at the end of Sept that survived the harsh MICHIGAN winter. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post
    Think about it for a second. These hives that you are removing is just that.... well established hives with all the stores they need to survive the winter.
    They are just like your hives, except in a wall. If they are properly removed and all the stores are kept with them (brood on bottom, honey on top), they will be just fine.
    I've had cutouts at the end of Sept that survived the harsh MICHIGAN winter. lol

SHB

If you have SHB where you are at better not save anything but the brood comb or they will take over. You can feed them some and robinhood some honey stores from your other hives later.

Don

They are likely going into a TBH or a nuc. So does the honey go to the front or back?

Can you put some of the honey in a freeze and install it in a hive at a later date?

If there are SHB, will freezing the honey kill them so I can use it to feed (as robber honey) near the hive at a later date.

Just lots of questions and DARN there is too much information here to absorb.

hehehee

A nuc? You better take half a hive per removal. I have yet to see a removal that didn't take less than two ten frame mediums to install the comb into.
    Some (later in the season) will take three to four.
    I recommend a lang set up for removals.

Honey.... TBH back, lang top and sides.
    I had a cutout last year that had shb. One to two treatments and they were gone.

Go ahead and remove band all the brood you can, crush and strain and feed back to the bees

I agree with the other posts. Full Langstroth boxes (vs. nucs) would be better for banded up brood frames.

Feed back the strained nector or honey from the combs you can't band (and have crushed). Treat for SHB (I use Bettle Blasters) as you go.

If you need help with that cut out, let me know. I have a few hives on Galveston Island. I also have a bee vac that we can use.
    Texas Ranger Creed - "No man in the wrong can stand up against a fellow that's in the right and keeps on a-comin."

Beach - Guess I might need to look into building a couple lang frames. Will keep your offer in mind. Need to find someone with bees nearby so I can learn alittle from them. Many thanks for the offer.

If I don't watch it I might end up with a few hives here. Not that I have a problem with it.