Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Strategies for getting bees out of honey supers?

Quote Originally Posted by SallyD View Post
    Ace: When you say knock the bees off do you mean holding the frame in one hand and taking the other hand and hitting that hand?
    With an open hive I just hold one end of the frame and tap the bottom of the end bar on the other end against the top of the box. Turn the frame around and do the same. You swing the frame like you swing a hammer, wrist action not arm action. Make believe you are taping in a brad.
    If your hive is boiling over you can add an empty box to the top of the hive so you won't be smacking bees on the hive.

The nurse bees are the ones that hang on and don't usually fly back to the frame. They stay in a pile on top of the open hive until you smoke them down (if you have to). Any forager flying back to the frame will leave towards nightfall so you don't have to get every last bee off the frame.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

just a suggestion, but tapping the frame against something other than the top of the box would prevent stirring up the bees in the box.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

I only use the triangle bee escape boards. I use queen excluders under the supers so I dont have to worry about trapping the queen. I find that if I leave them for 48 hours, there are only a handful of bees in the supers. This works no matter how many supers are stacked.

It is really easy to do also. Friday afternon added 25 triangle escape boards unde the supers and removed the excluders. Sunday afternoon pulled all the supers and the hives are in summer configuration. I pulled about 1200lb sof honey in 20 minutes. In the back of the truck they went and off to the honey house. Just finished extracting them from last weekend and only had about 200 bees come home with me.

I dont use fume boards because of the foul smell/taste that can enter the honey.
    Pearl City Apiary Michael and Loucil Bach

I am currently also thinking about next year. I am planning on putting the honey supers off in the morning, waiting until 5-6 oclock and then talking them home. An additional safety is using a bee escape on the bottom so that bees cant go back in. Also no cracks should be open. I am told this works well. My only question is managing the heavy lifting...

With a real bee blower, and a covered truck, supers can be removed, blown out, and placed on the truck without fear of robbing, even in the fall. Save your money and buy(or build) a real one. There is a reason we invented them.

Crazy Roland

I've always had the same experience as Michael B. in post #23. I use a half dozen triangular bee escapes. I put them on the colonies one day and within 24 hours all but maybe a half dozen bees have moved on. I just brush these few bees off the frames before going inside the honey house.

The triangular bee escapes (sometimes called a vortex bee escape) are available from suppliers or lots of plans are available on the internet.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Creek Steve View Post
    The triangular bee escapes (sometimes called a vortex bee escape) are available from suppliers or lots of plans are available on the internet.
    It doesn't make any difference to me if I have to brush 6 bees or 600 bees because I have to go through each frame. Once you get the bees off you have to keep them off and that can be a challenge sometimes. Breaking out frames breaks burr comb that is filled with honey. Spilled honey just invites more bees.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Like anything, it is just a matter of knowing what you've got, how you manage it, and your technique.

Steve