Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Captured Bee Experiment

Quote Originally Posted by AR Beekeeper View Post
    I probably have not understood your post properly, because it sounds like you say you are stealing your neighbors forager bees to start a new colony? Would it not be better to ask to buy 2 frames of brood and nurse bees to make your start with? That would give you more chance for sucess and would be less apt to cause problems with a neighbor.
    Actually I just found out this afternoon that this apiary was there. I was originally thinking that my 1st queen had swarmed, and then the 2nd emergency queen left with the final and last set of my bee stock. I was kind of expecting to find a group of "wild" feral bees up in a tree or a swarm of bees that had originated from my hive. Don't they go into attic spaces on a regular basis?

I didn't know that my neighbor had bees because I never saw any foragers around until this year.

Quote Originally Posted by shannonswyatt View Post
    If you have a neighbor with 15 hives I would tell him you lost your hive and ask him if he could give you a frame of brood and a couple shakes. Let him know you have been feeding his bees and he may be more favorable to it.
    Yes good plan. I hope to get their contact information later today or tomorrow. Since I did not see any feeders on their hives I can only assume that my yard is now the popular spot to hang out with those bees.

Update today is Thursday July 11, 2013. I got the bright idea of sequestering my whole hive in a TENT!. That way no robber bees.
    This is a 2 person tent. As I am doing my inspection. This is a video grab of the queen cage in the foreground and the top of the hive in the background. I think I have only like 250 to 500 bees in total.

The interior of the tent is one that measures about 8 feet by 8 feet.
    I added 2 foraging trees, a "tub" feeder on a TV Tray, and a sponge soaked with water.

They are basically protected from the other robber bees.

A look at the queen cage with bees covering it.
    Because of that I know she is still in there. They had waxed it down on 1 side. I think that was the side with the candy plug in it. Not sure it was hard to see anything through the viel hood I was wearing. This was after I removed the 2nd cork. A few crawled inside and came back out again.

Some other observations are that yesterday I noticed robbing happening at the hive so mid morning I closed it back up again. The robbers were stuck inside with the other bees. Even though I had the externa l tub feeder out on a table there are so many bees they decided to look everywhere for the feeders. They found the entrance feeder on the hive.
    The main ovservation is that after 60 hours the bees had already switched and were deciding to stay in their new home. I waited 12 hours to pull the 1st cork from the queen cage. At that point there was a group that had clumped on top of the queen cage. I think she was accepted at that time. I added 2 frames of drawn comb hoping that she emerges and starts to lay eggs. I hope to have some more positive results by Sunday. I plan to leave them in the tent for the next week or longer. A look at 1 of the frames with some bees on it.

My current sequestered hive on 7-18-2013.
    The picture of the yellow hive is my few bees that I had when I re-queened it and on the 11th they freed her. I think it will be another 2 weeks until I might be able to see some eggs hatching.

I bought a new hive 6-frame Nuc on Monday July 15th.
    I am thinking I need to grab a frame of brood from my 2nd hive to supplement the population as well as adding some nurse bees to the struggling hive. That feeder in there gets some usage. The feader may not be close enough to the 2 frames of brood.

This weekend I plan on re-constructing my boxes. They are too long. The new bees in the nuc box need to get transitioned out of there. It is at capacity with 8 frames in it. Plus it needs some serious cleaning. These new bees are a little more pissey. I got stung through the glove on Monday when I was adding the 2 frames. Plus tonight 1 of them followed me to the sliding glass door, and another 2 came inside with me yesterday. I had 2 bees buzzing in the house. They are much more noisier than flies.

Has anybody done that before? Mixing frames from 1 hive into another? Since my 1st hive is the weaker one, I don't want to put a frame or 2 of brood in there and have there be a bunch of fighting ans such. Not sure of the outcome. I just want to check. As long as I keep the queens separate in their own box, I should be fine. I added the 3rd and 6th frame in there on Tuesday night. I hope to have them draw it out and the queen to lay eggs in it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12