Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Captured Bee Experiment

The purpose of this post is to document what I did with captured feral bees and giving a new queen to start a new hive.
    I captured bees using a bee vac I built:
    That happened 6 pm on Sunday 7-8-2013 evening.
    http://imageshack.us/a/img443/2457/6kuy.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img854/3580/jjvs.jpg

Default Re: Captured Bee Experiment

Video of the bee activity in the observation window.
    I was thinking I had 1,000 bees or more.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV79hhbCajY

Over the next day Monday July 8th and Tuesday July 9th I observe the feral bees trying to get INTO the captured hive

Tuesday early morning,I replaced the vaccum chamber with a simple board and screen cover.
    There was many more than that and it was covered with bees. I was using my blower to ventalate the hive and move them so I could get a good photo.

Wednesday at about 4:30 am (Hour number 59):
    My first time opening the hive to give a 2 inch entrance.
    I wanted to remove the "upsidedown tub feeder", but the bees were all sleeping on it and I didn't want to disturb. They have 4 frames of drawn (and cleaned) comb, a polin patty and the green sponge for water. This marked the 59th hour they have been in there. I was hoping to find more bees. There was also a clump of bees on the queen cage. I put 2-1 sugar syrup on the combs before putting in there. I cleaned them prior as they had been the dead brood frames. I "jet-blasted" with water and then using a dental pick I removed any remaining dead eggs/larva/pupas that remained. I am not sure how many bees are between the frames.

The Queen. She was introduced into the hive at hour # 48. The guy at the Bee Supply suggested I not release her as the bees may be too stressed and they might take it out on her and kill her. That is why I opened the hive to let them deficate and get some fresh air. (relieve stress) They accepted her as I saw them all over the queen cage this morning at 5 am when I opened the hive. That was after 12 hours.
    You can see the small opening I have for them farther away from the feeder. There is nothing in the feeder right now.
    The "stick" protrouding from above has the queen cage on it. She extends to about 1 inch from the bottom of the chamber.
    I got a marked queen this time. I will remove the cork plug and let them eat through the candy here in a few minutes at 12 noon.

I don't understand what you did or why. Did you do a cut out? Is that where the "feral" bees came from? Or did you catch a swarm?
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Had a bit of trouble following the experiment, but I've smoked the bees and myself today.
    I like your yellow hives, they look cool.

Ok, went back through it.
    Your isolating robber bees?
    I'd paint them up with a queen marker and re-run the trial
    to see if they same individuals come back again.
    I've never been sure if robbing is more about which bees
    do it, or if it is a symptom any bee will take up if the conditions are right for it.

The reason why I did it was because my old colony colapsed.
    (http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...-is-collapsing)
    As I was feeding the hive I noticed a more and more agressive behavior toward the orange internal suryp-float feeders. 20 to 30 dead ones on 2 successive days. This is after 1 month of using the feeder so I finally realized I was not feeding my bees but robber bees.
    I wanted to get myself a hive back and restated. I was not sure how many bees I had left in my original one. I ordered a replacement queen without knowing how many. Well I had basically none.! So I decided to catch some bees to act like my "Package Bees", and with the new queen I bought I "should" have a fresh start.

I see. Good luck. I would not expect success. But you might pull it off.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Well, I determined the source of the "feral" bees.
    15 hives only about 75 yards away. I watched where the bees were flying to/from, and was thinking they were up in a tree, but they were not.
    That means I can catch many more bees to suppliment my hive. I hope to have a 5 hundred or more that will switch aligence to the new queen!

Your neighbors apiary?

I probably have not understood your post properly, because it sounds like you say you are stealing your neighbors forager bees to start a new colony? Would it not be better to ask to buy 2 frames of brood and nurse bees to make your start with? That would give you more chance for sucess and would be less apt to cause problems with a neighbor.

Assuming the neighbor knows.

Yes, I suppose there are some beekeepers that do not know about Beesource.

Quote Originally Posted by AR Beekeeper View Post
    Yes, I suppose there are some beekeepers that do not know about Beesource.
    Yes, my dad is one of them. He still has a modem and an AOL account. I kid you not.

If you have a neighbor with 15 hives I would tell him you lost your hive and ask him if he could give you a frame of brood and a couple shakes. Let him know you have been feeding his bees and he may be more favorable to it.

not to mention you are steeling foragers, and still have no nurse bees to cover the brood and feed.
    If I were you I would approach the guy who has the apiary, tell him you do not have a clue about bees but are attempting to start a hive you may just gain a friend, and mentor. either of which is worth far more than any amount of bees.

Or save yourself now while you have a chance and just purchase honey from your neighbor!

Quote Originally Posted by shannonswyatt View Post
    Yes, my dad is one of them. He still has a modem and an AOL account. I kid you not.
    HAY!!! I resemble that remark!

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    not to mention you are steeling foragers, and still have no nurse bees to cover the brood and feed.
    If I were you I would approach the guy who has the apiary, tell him you do not have a clue about bees but are attempting to start a hive you may just gain a friend, and mentor. either of which is worth far more than any amount of bees.
    Assuming the photograph is a picture of his neighbors apiary and not a picture of his own apiary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast