Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Rain, Rain, Rain!!!

Glad to hear your hive is okay! I was really concerned when I saw no bees but SHB. You had mentioned the bees were mad and head-butting though, which I didn't associate with dwindling and few bees so I asked.

I agree with shannonswyatt, I would not brush them off the comb unless you need to do something particular or are harvesting it. I wouldn't move them now if they are weak, but most seem to agree that more sun helps fight SHB. It gets pretty hot and humid where I live so I compromised and put mine in partial sun. They get a little morning sun and then full sun midday for a few hours. They beard but seem to be doing fine.

Quote Originally Posted by shannonswyatt View Post
    I wouldn't brush them. If you have hive beetles they are normally easy to see behind the follower board. As a new beek you probably can't see eggs (I can't, my eyes suck), so you really need to look for uncapped brood which should be easy to see with bees all over it (they move enough to expose it). No reason to remove bees from capped brood or stores.

I wouldn't move the hive, too much of a pain on a TBH. For hive beetles check out fat bee man on making beetle traps from political signs on youtube.

Thank you Shannon,
    I moved the feeder into the hive yesterday and put in 2 pieces of 2"X2" cardboard for now, until traps arrive. DANG, my girls sure are aggressive!!! All I removed was the last 4 bars to place the cardboard on the floor and set the feeder in. As soon as I remover the rain cover, (not the plywood cover), they started bouncing off my veil. I was on the backside of hive/entrance. Just a thought but could them being so aggressive be a sign that they have brood?
    Thanks too all!!!

They may just be mean. Give them some smoke. Not too much, but some.

Quote Originally Posted by Colleen O. View Post
    Glad to hear your hive is okay! I was really concerned when I saw no bees but SHB. You had mentioned the bees were mad and head-butting though, which I didn't associate with dwindling and few bees so I asked.

I agree with shannonswyatt, I would not brush them off the comb unless you need to do something particular or are harvesting it. I wouldn't move them now if they are weak, but most seem to agree that more sun helps fight SHB. It gets pretty hot and humid where I live so I compromised and put mine in partial sun. They get a little morning sun and then full sun midday for a few hours. They beard but seem to be doing fine.
    Thanks colleen, I didnt know how else to inspect the combs or get good pics with them the girl covering them. I know now not to do it again. I will not move it this year. I will start next spring moving it about 10 to 15 feet every few days so I dont disorient them.
    Shannon, I dont have a smoker but I guess I will need one. I got stung twice taking pics but I worry more about them dieing after stinging me, than I mind getting stung. I will have to refill feeder in about 3 days and will fan some pine needle smoke in the entrance when I do. I just hate doin that to them but like someone mentioned, as long as they are emptying the feeder, They probly need it.
    Thank yall

the card board (as well as any other beetle traps) needs to be at the top of the hive. When the bees drive the beetles they usually go to the top of the hive so that's where to put the traps. Don't leave the cardboard in to long. You want to collect the beetles then destroy them not make them permanent quarters. Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12