Default keeping feeder on

First season finally underway, the two large supers are full and placed a med on for honey last week . I have been using a one quart feeder that you slide inside the bottom of the hive, and have continued to feed at around 1 to 1 . With the current temperature rising into the 90s, I decided to add more water to my solution using it to provide water to the hive during high heat. My current solution is maybe 3 water to 1 sugar some lemongrass oil and some apple vinegar. They seem to like it well enough and progressing like busy bees. hope I'm going in the right direction, any feedback is useful, as I think this site is invaluable to all of us!!!! Thanks again!!!!!

Default Re: keeping feeder on

> placed a med on for honey last week.

If you are feeding syrup, the "honey" that you get in that super will not be honey, it will be essentially sugar syrup. If you expect to use that medium as winter bee feed, thats one thing. If you expect to harvest this medium box, stop feeding syrup.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Thanks Graham
    Its more like flavored water slightly sweetened. It is not syrup. The idea is to provide water to the hive during drought and high heat??????

If you want to offer them water, then do so. But adding sugar to that water limits your options as to what you can do with what they store in the medium box, unless you don't mind potentially harvesting syrup honey.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

The general rule is never feed anything with sugar in it if you have supers on the hive and intend to be harvesting what is in the supers for human consumption. Honey is a food with a great reputation for purity. Please help keep it that way.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Thanks to ALL for the advice. The feeder is pulled!!