Default Honey tastes like coffee??

I went to my dads today to help him extract. He is around Augusta, Ga which is about about 100 miles East of Atlanta. We got a couple gallons from his two hives. When we were extracting I noticed a strong coffee smell. I tasted the honey (which is fairly dark) and it has a strong coffee taste. Now I'm not 100% positive but I don't think coffee beans are grown around here. Anyone have any idea what this taste/smell might be? It definitely tastes / smells of strong coffee.

Default Re: Honey tastes like coffee??

trash can honey? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Craig View Post
    trash can honey? LOL
    It crossed my mind!!!

pour me a cup,,,no sugar please.

In California we have coffee berry, Rhamnus Californica. I got a crop of it in the '80s that tasted like coffee.

Starbucks 'Fly Thru' dumpster service.

Maybe they've read about the green coffee diet cuz their feeling a little heavy in the hips

Well, I can assure you that coffee flower honey does not taste like coffee!

http://www.melomountainfarm.com/why-kona/

Scroll down for pics!
    Last edited by Gino45; 07-10-2013 at 04:03 AM.

I put my coffee grounds in my compost. I have a covered bin so they don't bother it but maybe someone near the hive has an open pile that they put their fresh grounds on.

Not operating yet BUT....

The new Augusta plant, Starbucks’ fifth manufacturing facility in the United States, will be the company’s first owned and operated facility in the world to produce soluble products, such as VIA Ready Brew, ingredients for Frappuccino and many of Starbucks ready-to-drink beverages. Those products are currently produced outside the U.S., Starbucks spokesman Zack Hutson said.

>In California we have coffee berry, Rhamnus Californica<<

I get some honey most years from the Sierra Coffeberrry. I dont think it tastes like coffee at all.Its dark and never granulates. This year a late freeze killed all the bloom just as it was getting started.

Quote Originally Posted by loggermike View Post
    >In California we have coffee berry, Rhamnus Californica<<I get some honey most years from the Sierra Coffeberrry. I dont think it tastes like coffee at all.Its dark and never granulates. This year a late freeze killed all the bloom just as it was getting started.
    Maybe a coffee like aroma is a better description.

Its funny how people describe the taste of honey. One lady thought the coffeeberry honey tasted like anise. Another said molasses. I think it has a marshmallow flavor. So maybe the coffee flavored honey will taste like root beer to someone else.

I keep getting a dark honey from something that is flowering in June. It took me several years but I think I have narrowed it down to a neighbors persimmon trees. Like dark beer, some love it and some despsie it.

I noticed that our bees were visiting our compost bin this spring & seemed to be picking up grains of coffee/working it for something. I suspected it might be for the protein, or possibly to make propolis? First year that the compost has been close to the hives so will see what happens.

Loggermike,
    I believe I bought some honey from you last week. Are you up in the Fall River Valley, near Fall River Mills? My friend knew of a beekeeper in the area selling honey and we drove over--I always look for the local honey on my vacations but I didn't know until yesterday that I was at a Beesource member's place! My sweetie and I came to the door because honey was not out at the stand yet. We talked for awhile with a very pleasant woman/beekeeper about the bees and California beekeeping, and fishing. I got to see some honeybees gleaning off the empty hives and nuks in your yard. Yesterday I looked up "Tooley's Bees" in the search and found your name.
    I bought a small jar of Manzanita honey after tasting all your varieties, yum!

My next visit out I have Odfrank on my list for places to go and people to meet. This trip, our first week was in San Francisco area, Marin Co, so Odfrank is definitely on the list as that's where we start next time too. My sweetie is from that area and he goes every year. Now that I know how beautiful it is, I'm going to go again--hopefully next year.

I loved seeing all the beehives as we drove back down to SF. On the trip up north we went the long way through Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and I got buckwheat honey from a farmer's market. I especially loved Northern CA and the mountain towns. We stayed at a home in the country near Fall River Mills and for me it was as good as any resort or cruise. The mountains, the golden grasses on the hillsides looked like soft fur, the rivers and streams, Burney Falls--all incredibly beautiful.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Dead serious, I sell bees to a cpl of LARGE zoos... they have no honey because its snow cone honey.... you can actualy see the flavors in the comb (don't ask me how the bees do that)......

>>Are you up in the Fall River Valley, near Fall River Mills?<<
    Yep, that bee us. sorry I missed talking bees with you.

Coffeeberry is a member of a widespread family of plants that grow all over the world. I think bees work them wherever they grow, and can be a source of surplus honey if enough are present.So , while I dont agree with OD, others may think it has a coffee odor or taste.Here is one southern species http://www.fisharama.org/resources/w...roliniana.html