Default storing honey under broodnest

I've got a strong NWC hive that I left 4 mediums on for overwintering during the 2012-2013 season. Well for some reason the bees skipped over the third box (which was full of honey) during the winter and settled in the top of the 4th box for the rest of the winter some time in january. The consumed a little less than a third of the front portion of the honey in this third box.

Well when spring came around I reorganized things to open up the brood nest. I remembered reading somewhere that Warre said you could put a super of honey below the broodnest and they would move all the honey above the nest and draw out another super (his method for drawing out white honey comb). So I thought I would try that just to get the bees to move that honey up and also draw out another honey super with wax. So I moved this third box to the lowest position in the springtime.

Well of course these bees have decided not only were they not going to do what warre said they would do, but in fact they have filled and nearly capped all of this box. I'm not quite sure what to do. I've tried scratching off cappings and they just recap it. I suppose I could extract it but that would be to easy. I'd like them to move that honey up and store pollen down there like they are supposed to do. Any suggestions?

Default Re: storing honey under broodnest

help!

Stop fighting the bees. You are supposed to help them so they can help you.

I agree, stop fighting them. They are going to win.
    I'm not exactly sure what your main objective is, but I would move the capped box to the top and be done with it. If you want them to draw out more frames add another box on top and alternate capped frames and foundation in both top boxes.
    To everything there is a season....

that is true they always do win

I wasn't clear in my post the reason why I was hoping they would move all the honey out of this box was that it is drawn out in an off pattern and the frames cant be pushed together. They tend to fill it with a lot of burr and filler comb. making any inspection very difficult. Well probably what I'll do is give up - let the bees win (like you guys said they always do) and move it up

thanks for the help you guys!

If the comb is not properly drawn the only recourse is to shave the face down to where it is straight and will fit with the other frames. If that is not practicable, put them out of the hive and allow the bees to rob them out. Bad comb is a pain and will always be a pain until it is culled.

It sounds like you just want them to clean all the honey out of the box so you can remove it and repair or discard the wacky comb. Here is what I would try.

When you get into your summer dearth, probably in a few weeks, rearrange your hive as follows. Set your inner cover on top of the three "good" mediums. Put an "empty' box on the inner cover. Set your wacky comb box on top of the empty box (make sure the queen is in the bottom 3 boxes). Outer cover on top of that.

The bees will see the inner cover as their ceiling and start to rob the honey out of the wacky comb box and store it down below. The empty box above the inner cover creates a void and the bees see the honey in the top box as an outside source and will move it down. Do this when you are in a dearth, not during a flow. You could also scratch the cappings to create additional interest in moving the honey down. This is the same method to get extracted supers cleaned up quickly and avoid robbing in the process.
    To everything there is a season....

hey awesome idea mike that is exactly what I am trying to do!

I really appreciate the response and will let you all know how it works out