This is the log hive given to us to use in the paper combine trick to our weak hive. It didn't work. After 4 days I took them apart. I discovered hundreds of dead bees on the floor of the inside of this log. I don't know if they had died while trapped in there with screen wire, or were already there. Regardless, they've been very busy and working hard to maintain, and then perhaps grow somewhat. The hole is large enough to see inside and see their comb hanging from the inside top. I've seen wax moth larvae and moths on the floor of this log being chased by bees. I've seen them Festooning across the front, measuring where to go next. It's fascinating to see them in a more 'natural' environment. Tonight they almost have the front entrance plugged with what they are working on. I guess the current thought is to let them do what they do, and perhaps use them as a source for bees when they go to swarm.
Festooning across the front (I think that's what it's called)
Here's where they were a couple weeks ago
Paper transfer that failed