Default My upper deep is full of honey :(

I started a package hive in May. My hive currently consists of two deeps. The top deep was put on when the first deep was 75% full. Now, after a week and a half, I did an inspection of the top deep. WOW!
    All but two frames are full of honey or nectar. A lot of it is capped. Sounds good except... there's absolutely no brood or pollen in the top deep! It's almost as if I used a queen excluder (I did not!)

That makes me concerned, as just about EVERYTHING in beekeeping does, that perhaps now the queen has no more room to expand. I did not investigate the bottom deep so I don't know how much room she has there. I do know that all the frames are drawn.

I don't have to have honey this year. My concern is that the bees get theirs for Winter and that they have room to grow. My plan was to use my two deeps to raise brood and Winter stores. If they got full, I would consider putting on a medium super for me. I never expected the second deep to not have any brood - only honey! Now what do I do? Does my bottom deep provide enough room for the queen? I don't have any deep frames or I would pull 4 from the top deep and replace them with new, in case the queen decided to go up. That would give her some room, but it is not an option.

My thought is to sandwich a medium super in between the two deeps. This would give them some room. I cannot transfer a frame of brood into the medium super from the deep (won't fit!) to entice the queen.

Is there anything I can do to entice the queen up there?
    Does this sound like a good plan?
    Should I put the feeder back on to help with comb building during these dry Michigan Summer months?

Your thoughts are very much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Jack

Default Re: My upper deep is full of honey :(

put the medium on the top asap

I'd give them a super up top, and then go back in a couple of days and check the bottom box. I would check for signs that you still have a queen in there by looking for larva (eggs if your can see them, or see her). If you see signs of a queen, I'd mellow out (have a cold one) and hope that they draw out the comb in the super to set you up for next year. If your flow is strong, you may even get some honey this year.

If his flow is strong enough to draw a deep in a week and a half that medium wont last long and it will be full. I would suspect you have a queen as a weak hive wouldn't fill a deep that fast. plus that is what bees do they store honey above the brood nest and as long as they have room to build more comb on top the wont backfill the brood nest and swarm.

So was mine. . they back filled it with brood once I stopped feeding.

Okay, I'm installing the two medium supers tomorrow morning!
    I think I worry to darn much about these bees. I just don't want to screw up!
    So it appears that what I have is normal and is a good thing - as long as they haven't already started packing their bags

Jackam: I responded to you a couple times on the other forum. Your hive looks great! Remember, we just entered July. I wouldn't stress too bad about honey stores yet....much nicer to have the population to make that happen! I choose to believe that the bees know what they need and when.

I am such a novice! I posted a pic on another forum (because I can't seem to post pics here for some reason.) As I've been told - I do not have frames full of honey. My upper deep box is chuck full of brood! That makes me happy.
    Within an hour I'm going to add the mediums on top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bees In Miami View Post
    I responded to you a couple times on the other forum. Your hive looks great!
    Thank you! Your reassurance makes me feel SOOOOOooooo good!

> I can't seem to post pics here for some reason.

If the forum built-in photo tool doesn't work well for you, I am confident using a free photo host such as Photobucket.com will work. And using Photobucket is easy, too. Once you have an image hosted, you can link to that image at Beesource and other sites as well. After you get your images uploaded to Photobucket, here's a guide on getting it linked at Beesource:

Quote Originally Posted by Tango Yankee View Post
    If you have uploaded your photos to Photobucket, you need to hover your mouse pointer over the photo you wish to show us. A gear icon will appear in the right upper corner of the photo. Hover your pointer over it and you'll get a menu of options. Click the one that says Get Links. You'll get a new box called Share the photo with a number of options below. Click in the box under the one that says IMG codes. It should turn yellow and say "Copied." Then do a paste in the message you want the photo to appear in as I'm about to do:
    You can see the thread this handy quote came from (and the photo) here:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...w-Top-Bar-Hive
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

It works! Thank you!!!

It's kind of embarrassing to show the picture now.

That looks like capped brood to me, dude, although I've been known to be wrong and am a novice myself.

I think the cappings for honey are much whiter (the top of that left frame you can see in the picture, I believe, is honey). I think the only thing there that's honey are those few uncapped wet ones.

Quote Originally Posted by hedges View Post
    That looks like capped brood to me, dude, although I've been known to be wrong and am a novice myself.

I think the cappings for honey are much whiter (the top of that left frame you can see in the picture, I believe, is honey). I think the only thing there that's honey are those few uncapped wet ones.
    ditto this