Default Cross comb mess in my lang nuc....

I built a lang deep a few weeks back to use as a box for a trap-out I was going to do. The trap-out wound up not happening, so when I caught a swarm 2 weeks ago, I put them in the 10 frame deep nuc as it was a pretty good-sized swarm and I was worried that a 5 frame nuc wouldn't be big enough. They've stuck around so far, and went I went in today for the 1st inspection. I found that they had built a lot of cross comb in between the frames that I to cut with my bread knife to get apart.....

I've got 9 frames in the 10 frame box and they're pushed tightly together towards the middle. The frames are filled with empty pierco waxed foundation which the bees in my other lang hive seem to really like. Ironically, I didn't have 9 pieces of foundation when I hived the swarm, so I put in two empty frames towards the rear, and they've built those frames out quite nicely, while building cross comb (fins?) on (and between) the pierco frames....

So, what's the best remedy here?

Many thanks!

BD

Default Re: Cross comb mess in my lang nuc....

Ironically, I didn't have 9 pieces of foundation when I hived the swarm, so I put in two empty frames towards the rear, and they've built those frames out quite nicely, while building cross comb (fins?) on (and between) the pierco frames....
    I would pop the foundation out of one of the frames, move it to the center of the hive, and put those two drawn frames on either side of it. See what they do with it and the frames on either side of the drawn frames. It sounds like they just don't like that pierco foundation.
    Try it. What could happen?

I have a hive that cross combs no matter what I do to correct it.

Unless there's a really good flow, and they are building comb for nectar - I see a decent amount of sideways burrs between new foundation frames. I usually just split them apart and re-arrange the frames. When they squish back together in a different order, the bees have to tear it down and rebuild.

I would also (as Jstinson said) arrange the combs alternating the comb they drew properly, and new foundation. Just check back frequently, and you may have to keep re-arranging them to keep them from building too wide and adding too much burr comb.

I have used wax foundation for decades and have no cross combing problems. Use the bees natural material and you will solve your problems.

I have used wax foundation, plastic foundation, no foundation, moved frames around, torn comb out, fixed comb and this hive is bound and determined to cross comb. I run across cross comb occassionly in other hives but this one is constantly doing it. I have just learned to live with their faults. I call them my architecturaly impaired hive.