Default Will a frame or two of honey encourage comb building in a super?

I have two hives, a second year and a first year nuc. The nuc has been strong right from the start but will not build any comb in the honey super that I put on three weeks ago (with Dadant plasticell). The second year hive went queenless for awhile this year and the number of bees is less than the nuc, but they have built comb and capped honey in their super, and their numbers are building. I was considering pulling a couple frames of capped honey from this hive and exchanging them with frames from the nuc. Any chance this will encourage comb building in the nuc? Or should I just let the bees decide when and if?

Default Re: Will a frame or two of honey encourage comb building in a super?

Feeding them will help with comb building.

Or should I just let the bees decide when and if?
    Yes

They will draw more comb when they need it.

Also, if you are using a queen excluder, take it off. That will help more than anything. You can put it back on after they have the super drawn if you feel the need to.
    Try it. What could happen?

1:1 syrup encourages comb building.

I'm not using an excluder. Good idea on feeding, I will give that a try.

It's likely that the reason the hive that went queenless built more comb is that not having any brood to feed they actually needed more space to store excess honey that they were not feeding to brood. Needing the space is really the key. However they are often reluctant to move up into an empty box of foundation - until they do.

So a frame of honey won't coax them up?

Quote Originally Posted by NonTypicalCPA View Post
    Yes it will but sometimes it takes time for them to build out the frames if there not much of a flow plus feeding does work if there is no flow they will build comb with 1:1 good luck you'll figure it out .
    If I was you i'd try feeding the nuc and see what they do bet they build out your nuc frames in no time.
    I have 13 nucs right now and I know mine are not building much comb right now but are flow is slowing down I won't put feeders on till after the golden rod thats if I need to . Great year for me here in PA.
    Are you sure you have a queen in both hives?
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 15 hives==== T{OAV}

Thanks Glock. My family just got back from a week in PA and a week in NY with our camper. Pennsylvania is a beautiful state! They need to straighten their roads out thought, way too windy for a flatlander.

Quote Originally Posted by NonTypicalCPA View Post
    It will usually get some bees up there so that it isn't just an empty box, but they probably still won't build much comb unless they need to.

The most reliable way to force bees to build comb when they don't really want to is to put an empty frame between two brood frames - and during a good flow and a normal spring build up period that is probably OK, but during a minimal or no-flow period I suspect that it adds stress to what is often already a stressful situation.

Also, if you just bring up a frame of uncapped honey sometimes they will draw it out very thick - causing it and the adjacent frames to be funky. If you bring up capped honey or brood frames they usually don't do that so much. But they also aren't too anxious to cover capped honey, so it doesn't work as well to lure them into an otherwise empty box.

Probably the best way to get nice honey comb drawn is to put a full box of foundation on a strong hive during a strong flow - but of course you know that.