Hybrid View

Default Found a second, un-marked queen under the telescoping cover

This is my first year. I started with two 8-frame hives. One hive is not doing well at all. Two weeks ago I found that it only had about six full frames,it also had an unmarked queen, not the marked queen that I purchased. Today when I checked, the only change I found was a whole mess of small hive beetles, only a few beetles in the traps and no new brood, no evidence of a queen. Then I checked the stronger hive. I have a hive top feeder with a screen on top of it. There, on top of the screen was an un-marked queen. There were a number of bees feeding her. The rest of the hive seemed to be doing great, it needed another super, this hive seemed to be very aggressive. So, my questions, could this un-marked queen be the queen from the weak hive with the hive beetles, thus explaining the high aggressiveness. And, what should be done. Is it too late to save the weak hive? Should I put this queen in the weak, apparent queenless hive, or does she need to be killed?

Default Re: Found a second, un-marked queen under the telescoping cover

If you can put her into a queen cage with those attendants, I would hang her in the queen less hive.

Default Re: Found a second, un-marked queen under the telescoping cover

And, what should be done. Is it too late to save the weak hive? Should I put this queen in the weak, apparent queenless hive, or does she need to be killed?
    It's not too late. Since you have a lot of hive beetles, you need to reduce the space in the hive. If you have a nuc, put as many drawn frames in it as the bees can cover. If the bees cannot cover ALL the comb, the beetles will take the entire hive down in a matter of days. If you don't have a nuc, do the same thing just use the box you have. Remove comb frames until they're crowded.

You need to make dead sure that your strong hive has a queen, however. They might have superseded their queen and you happened to see her. If it does, I agree with Ben. Hang her in the weak hive and go from there. No need at all to kill her.

Good luck!
    Try it. What could happen?