Default Bee Bee Tree pictures.

Here are some Bee Bee tree photos. They are a beautiful ornamental tree besides their value as a great source of late summer nectar for bees. The white flower cluster is softball sized and when in bloom in very late summer they often have as many as 20 bees per cluster. I have seeds available for sale in "for sale" category in forum here. Hope you enjoy the pictures, one of my favorite trees for sure and the bees agree! The last pic shows the "fruit" of the bee's labors...after pollination these red seed pods turn from this shade to a deeper reddish maroon color. Really striking as trees are covered with flowers and then fruit clusters.

Default Re: Bee Bee Tree pictures.

How long does it take for a beebee tree to reach maturity and have flowers?

These trees will mature and flower between 4-6 years of age. Thats been my experience with them. Not bad considering its a tree, but it's worth the wait. I've see as many as 20 bees on a single flower cluster and the trees put out a lot of flowers.

How far north will they survive? We are zone 4-5.

The trees are hardy in zones 4-8. The University of Maine planted the tree in a USDA zone 4a (temps reached as low as -30F) and found it did well. No extra winter protection was given the trees aside from mulch. My trees in Pennsylvania seem oblivious to the cold, leaves are still green even this late in October when most other trees are busy dropping theirs. I think they would be fine in your 4/5 zone for sure.

I put seed in a few years ago(fall 2007), they come back every year but die back to the ground over winter. Hoping they'll grow out of that eventually, the top growth gets larger every year, no blooms yet. Zone 5a

Well there are a few things you could try. When they are small they are susceptible to the cold, so some winter protection can get them through it. Mulch will help and maybe burlap staked around them. Deer could be eating them as well. Also if you bring a few indoors over winter before they go dormant you can grow them up over winter. Once they get a bit of size to them they endure some pretty tough winter weather. They should thrive in your zone once they get a decent size. When they do and start to flower you'll see how crazy the bees are for them!
    Last edited by John67x; 12-12-2010 at 06:32 PM. Reason: forgot about the deer :)

They're enduring, I'm content to wait and see

Here is a link to some good pictures of trees: http://s1140.photobucket.com/albums/n578/john677x/

Quote Originally Posted by John67x View Post
    Here is a link to some good pictures of trees: http://s1140.photobucket.com/albums/n578/john677x/
    Have any updated pictures? I would love to see the size of it now. Have you found it to be soft wood, easy to break off during a storm? WHat are your thoughts close to a house for shade?

These trees look great. Thanks for the photo's.

I'm about ready to plant 100 seeds anyone have much experience doing this and be willing to share some knowledge?

Thanks

I just found out that a bee club is selling trees for $7.00 each...I'm getting two of them. Can't wait to get them growing. Hope they do well on the Oregon Coast.
    Those are great photos.

Uh-oh...These trees don't bloom until they are 7 years old...? I hope I live that long. My wife and I will be working our walkers over to see the trees we planted 6 or 7 years earlier. Hope we can see well enough by then. Hope we can find them. :-)

I am going to upload some newer pics soon. I saw about fifteen Swallowtail butterflies on them all at once yesterday but didn't have a chance to take some pics of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by trance View Post
    Have any updated pictures? I would love to see the size of it now. Have you found it to be soft wood, easy to break off during a storm? WHat are your thoughts close to a house for shade?
    John Yost Email: John677x@yahoo.com. (484 300 6695) Pottstown, Pa.

They bloom in 3-5 yrs in my experience. It depends on climate/environment perhaps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Solarbeez View Post
    Uh-oh...These trees don't bloom until they are 7 years old...? I hope I live that long. My wife and I will be working our walkers over to see the trees we planted 6 or 7 years earlier. Hope we can see well enough by then. Hope we can find them. :-)
    John Yost Email: John677x@yahoo.com. (484 300 6695) Pottstown, Pa.