Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default S17 fence energizer is junk; anything else in the range worth the $$?

My Gallagher S17 has ruined one battery and now on its 3rd year is totally dead. I get that it's inexpensive and all (@$150 or so), but all the others in the price range are half the joule output. I'm only energizing a small enclosure, maybe 50 feet total at most, but it needs to be a solar unit as no shore power available. Are there any energizers people have used that last?
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Default Re: S17 fence energizer is junk; anything else in the range worth the $$?

After checking the specs of the Gallagher s17 my original reply didn't make any sense...so I've deleted it.
    Last edited by beemandan; 07-05-2013 at 05:44 PM.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Default Re: S17 fence energizer is junk; anything else in the range worth the $$?

If you are looking to do things with minimum cash outflow up front, take a look at the Speedrite AN90 which can run off D cell batteries or an external 6 or 12 volt battery. I have one powered by d cells on my garden. In the past I have used them for bees with a 12 volt marine battery. The batteries power the energizer for four weeks or so before they need recharging. (I had two batteries and swopped as necessary) I understand there is now a solar option for the AN90 but I have no experience with that.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

What are you using for posts and wire? I have friends who use a solar charged battery pack charger which works well enough for them. You have to keep the grass off of the wires of course. How do you do that?
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

I am curious. Why do you have to keep the grass of the wires? Won't the grass just burn away?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Most fence chargers aren't that hot. I hope not anyway.
    Mark Berninghausen

Grass bleeds charge to the ground, making the fence ineffective. It's cornered with anchored wood posts and has T-posts in between, high-tensile wire with insulator offsets throughout. I weed-whack it a few times in the spring, then when things dry out it stays that way .
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

That AN90 looks good but I think I'm keeping to the .7 joules minimum bear recommendation if I have to upgrade. Found one of these on Craigslist I'm thinking about... I have an almost-new battery.

I can get a TINY little arc, visible in a dark room, when I arc across the posts on my old one but zero reading on a fence tester, even terminal-to-terminal. The fence tester is new today so since the fence wasn't working I'm inclined to think the energizer is defunct more likely than a bum fence tester.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

So if a blade of grass gets hit by 3/4 joule it will still keep growing? Interesting.
    Brian Cardinal

For sure. Though these are low-impedance fences which send a pulse about 1/second; it's not continuous current.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

It is still .7 jules. Maybe the recovery time is too long.
    Brian Cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Brewcat View Post
    That AN90 looks good but I think I'm keeping to the .7 joules minimum bear recommendation if I have to upgrade. Found one of these on Craigslist I'm thinking about... I have an almost-new battery.

I can get a TINY little arc, visible in a dark room, when I arc across the posts on my old one but zero reading on a fence tester, even terminal-to-terminal. The fence tester is new today so since the fence wasn't working I'm inclined to think the energizer is defunct more likely than a bum fence tester.
    What are you using for a ground rod? A guy at our last Bee Group Mtng said that you need to embed an 8 ft rod in the ground around here. Pounded into the ground or buried horizontally, he said.

When I lived in NC ages ago I worked for a farmer who liked to try to get me to test the fence by grabbing onto it and hold it. I told him that if he wanted to test it that way then go ahead. So he did. He grabbed onto the fence while rocking back on his heels, smiling at me and daring me to do the same. No thanks.
    Mark Berninghausen

What you are seeing on the fence tester is voltage. Joules ratings make comparing energizers a bit easier but what really matters is having the fence setup properly with adequate charge so that Yogi will look elsewhere for his picnic basket. A terrific energizer on a poorly setup fence will give poor results. And a poorly rated energizer may give you acceptable performance if the fence is setup as it should be.

I'm still learning about fences. I've learned that I hate digging up ground rods for reuse. I think talk of joules obscures what is really important - voltage!! Last week I traded most of a day's labor relocating an electric fence to surround a pig pen in exchange for a young pig next spring. Did I make a good trade? We'll see how often I'm called back because the pigs are out!

The ground is a possible issue; the rods are rebar which may well have corroded. I'm planning on getting a couple proper galvanized rods with ground rod clamps for insurance. But with the energizer also testing poorly, I think I'll replace it.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Isn't a ground rod copper clad steel?
    Brian Cardinal

I think you are right Brian. I never heard of using rebar.
    Mark Berninghausen

I think galvanized copper: copper is too reactive for the outside surface, and the connection site galvanically corrodes too.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

all the ones I have seen and used are copper clad steel. If you are getting galvanic corrosion at the connection its because you are using dissimilar metals. It should be a bronze clamp and copper wire.

The Parmak 6 volt solar looks ok - I wouldn't buy it new because it is 6 volt but as a Craig's List deal... Very important to check the fence voltage once everything is installed. The recommendations I hear for bear are 6-8KW - the hotter the better.

I have a parmak magnum 12. Been a great one so far, I have had a patriot p2 it was good. I am liking the parmak especially for the price many good reviews also. I use aluminum wire a lot more conductivity. A low impedance charger is the key, especialy with the weeds, it won't bother them like the others. Remember you are trying to keep bears out not cattle in , different ballgame!
    All beekeepers can agree on one thing, and that one thing is, that all beekeepers can't agree on one thing.