Thread: Wet hive

Default Wet hive

Hey everyone, need some advice here. I was inspecting two of my newer hives today and out of nowhere it starts pouring rain. I was able to get the frames back in and the covers on pretty quickly but one of my hives got soaked. All the frames have some water in some of the comb. Ive never had this happen before. Is there anything I should do to help them dry it out or should I just let the bees handle things and see how it turns out? I did a search and couldn't find anyone with a similar question so any advice would be appreciated .

Default Re: Wet hive

The bees will take care of things themselves. They will store some of the water in cells to cool the hive, some they will retain in their stomachs, the rest will evaporate.

Not to worry. Bees get wet. They are not made of sugar. lol

Yes they do. This time of year it wont hurt them.

Rain won't hurt bees unless they are in a nuc. I brought home bees from a cut out. Dumped them into a nuc and we got a major down pour. water bees flowed out of the entrance, but I could not get the cover on in time.

I figured they would probably be ok. I was just kinda worried some of the uncapped brood might have drowned with all the water that got in with them.