Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Foundationless in an extractor?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  mmmooretx 
#1 ·
I just finished my first harvest, 65 lbs. from 2 hives, doing the crush and strain method. Due to some theft issues I sold all of my hunting lease equipment and will have the money to buy an extractor by the end of this week (Maxant 3100P). Anyway I currently have several hundred Walter Kelley type F frames I have been "stringing" with 20 lb. mono fishing line. For the most part, frames, I see no issue but some of my frames had very little attachment on the bottom bar and/or sides and am concerned about "blowouts" while power extracting.
Comments/recommendations would be appreciated. As a reference I now have 6 hives, 10 frame boxes, so that is why I am going to a power extractor.
Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I do it all the time. You just have to start slow and build up speed gradually. The "string/wire" will hold the comb in place. You may have a few blow outs but that may be do to the bees chewing the string/monofilament into underneath the comb and you not detecting it until the comb blows out.

#3 ·
I went to no foundation this year with 50 lb fishing line tight across the frames. The blood frames or working fine,but the super mediums are not so good. The bees are starting two different combs,one to each side,and when they meet in the middle of the frame one comb will over lap the other. It would be impossible to extract this . Also as I move the frames apart,they are stuck together so I will have to crush these frames to extract the honey.

#4 ·
>I do it all the time. You just have to start slow and build up speed gradually.

I do as well and I use no wires or fishing line. All mediums. The two things to watch for:

You need at least SOME attachment on all four sides
New, white comb is very soft and makes better comb honey. If the comb has a yellow tint to it, the bees have "finished" it and it is much tougher.

Here's a typical foundationless comb ready to harvest:

http://bushfarms.com/images/FoundationlessDrawn.JPG

Note, it is yellowish in color (not bright white) and it is attached SOME on all four sides.

And, of course, as mentioned, start slow. When it's about half empty you can pick up some speed. When it's mostly empty you can crank it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.