Default Spinning Foundation-less Lang Frames

So I made some frames today, was really hoping I'd be able to make them cheaper than I could buy them.

Not sure if any one has tried this, (if you have, I'd love to hear the outcome) but I wanted to post for feedback.

I've been having trouble getting my TBH's to move horizontal (first year beek, and will not use them again next year) and want a solution for foundation-less frames that I can spin to extract the honey.

Any thoughts on the skewers in the frames? (The rigidity of the frame has increased considerable compared to a frame without them.

http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/ja...c359.jpeg.html

Default Re: Spinning Foundation-less Lang Frames

My buddy does the same with less dowels. Seems to work. I think he uses only two.

@odfrank -

Thanks for the reply. After I finished the frames I thought about the number of dowels / skewers and realized 7 is over kill.

I might do 2-3 for the next round.

I spin a lot of foundationless frames. Some with wire, some fishing line and some with nothing but the wax the bees built. After the first year the wax is tough enough to handle it. I would think your dowels will work just fine.

Mike
    Beekeeper? Shoot, my bees keep me!
    100 hives in Western Wa State

Quote Originally Posted by mmiller View Post
    I spin a lot of foundationless frames. Some with wire, some fishing line and some with nothing but the wax the bees built. After the first year the wax is tough enough to handle it. I would think your dowels will work just fine.

Mike
    +1

BTW with a good cage, tangential actually works better with foundationless in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by rweakley View Post
    +1

BTW with a good cage, tangential actually works better with foundationless in my experience.
    @rweakley-

I haven't extracted honey yet, or bothered learning about that. Have been more focused on keeping my bees alive since it's my first year.

What is the alternative to spinning the frames tangentially? Thanks.

Oh and here's the pictures from the link. I finally learned how to embed them in my posts.

I use no wire and no dowels and extract them all the time. If you want to use the dowels, one in the center would be plenty.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

For foundationless frames: I once used some 10 gauge galvanized steel wire, oriented the same as your dowels. I used five wires spaced equidistant across the frame. I've also used nylon fishing line, stainless steel aircraft safety tie wire, nickel plated steel wire (sold as horizontal reinforcement for frames). I prefer the stainless steel safety tie wire, but the wire sold for wiring frames works well, too.

I found that the vertical reinforcements were more than was necessary. They took too much time and effort for minimal benefit.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni