Thread: Nice NUC box

Default Nice NUC box

I am in the market for a nice 5 frame NUC box. Found a few on a web search but don't know which would be the best. I was thinking of going with the box Dadant supplies, mainly because they are down the road a few miles from me so no shipping. I want a good box but don't have the tools to make one myself. If you purchased a good one that actually fit together right let me know. Nice to hear from someone with first hand experience.
    ----
    Joe

Default Re: Nice NUC box

I like the Brushy Mountain 5 frame. It comes with an inner cover and telescoping cover so you can stack another box and use a pail feeder.....or add another 5 frame Nuc box if the bees expand fast.

I use Mann Lake for most of my supplies. Their NUC boxes are fine, but they do not have a queen excluder, inner cover or telescoping cover for a NUC :-/

Dadant does offer those accessories for the NUC hive. Only down side is that Dadant's equipment is about a quarter inch narrower than Mann Lake equipment so I don't like to interchange them. Go exclusively with Dadant and you will be fine. I have judged Mann Lake wood quality and fitment to be slightly better than the Dadant kits I've assembled this year.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
    I like the Brushy Mountain 5 frame..........
    I'm going to check out the web site.
    ----
    Joe

Check on ebay. I bought a really nice one for $30.00 totally assembled. Seems like shipping was around $8.00

Quote Originally Posted by Bill91143 View Post
    Check on ebay...........
    Good idea, didn't think of that!
    ----
    Joe

Kelly has free shipping this week if you spend $200. There items are excellent quality.

Quote Originally Posted by hilreal View Post
    Kelly has free shipping this week if you spend $200. There items are excellent quality.
    I buy mind from Mann lake . I only buy the body,and make my bottoms,and tops. I believe that they are $9.50 a piece for the economy grade. What I really like about them is that when you clamp the four sides together the box is square. It is hard to beat their prices also. Yesterday I compared a few things that I need to the price of Kelly. Mann lake beat their price on everything. Their ritecell foundation is the closes thing to wax that I have found in plastic. I don't understand why small cell foundation is more expensive than regular foundation. I don't believe they offer small cell in the rite-cell foundation. I want to buy some frame feeders for my mating nucs. I like the one that Mann lake has that have the two ladders better than the lone Kelly offers. I have been pleased with the plastic tray top feeder that Mann lake carry. I believe their top feeder is $21.00.

Quote Originally Posted by tibadoe View Post
    I'm going to check out the web site.

They also have Medium nucs with tops, inner covers if you use them and you can get SBB for them as well. Basicly, a mini hive. I really like mine.
    Much nicer than some of the nucs I've bought.

From what I have checked out, looks like Mann Lake and Brushy Mountain have the best kits quality wise. Decisions - decisions!
    ----
    Joe

I'd go with Brushy Mountain I have mann lakes and Brushy Mountain and Brushy Mountain is much better.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

Finally went for a Brushy Mountains 9 1/2"Complete NUC. Opened the box this morning and was impressed with the quality.
    ----
    Joe

I had the same question. I came to the conclusion way cheaper to build than to buy but I have tools so I made about 200 of them this winter. Got white pine for 70 cents a foot so I figured why not lol. When I did buy a few Mann Lakes worked really well, plus its free shipping if you order enough

I prefer the Brushy Mountain Nuc. Good quality, screened bottom, IPM board and inner cover. I've bought a few...all went together well.
    I'm sure you will enjoy yours.

Here is a tip if you want a queen excluder to fit a nuc. All you have to do is cut a 10 frame plastic one in half. My nucs are 9" width, which means there is about 7.5 inches inner space.

It is easy enough to cut the excluder into 8 1/4 inches. This does not give a perfect fit on a 9" wide nuc, but allows you to get 2 excluders for the price of one. Alternatively, you can cut off a 9" strip and have a 7 1/4" piece left over to play with.

After checking most of the big name vendors, Brushy Mountain seems to have the most complete selection of 5-frame equipment. Their equipment is high quality, too.

However, I would consider buying from the vendor down the road. The savings on shipping costs would be substantial.
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 14 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)