Default My First Trap Out

It's very late in the season to start a new colony, for me anyway, but I had the opportunity to try my first trap out yesterday and couldn't pass it up. I already have four hives all from swarms and they are not as far along at this time of the season as one would hope. I took a frame of brood from one of the strongest hives and put it in a nuke box and set it as the trap. Here is my question. Once I have a good amount of bees in the trap, the idea is that they will start feeding/nursing the brood and maybe create a queen, correct? Should I let them do that, or place all those bees that I catch back in the hive where I got the frame of brood in the first place to strengthen the original hive? Also, I'm guessing that I will have to put them in another deep on top of that original hive with newspaper between to let them get used to each other, right? After initial observation at the trap out site, it didn't seem that the colony in the wall was all that strong, but I will have to see. They have gone through hell with the owners trying to kill them, so hopefully, I can save them or at least some.

Default Re: My First Trap Out

You say the homeowners tried to kill them? Have they been sprayed with pesticide? I don't have a lot of experience, but I would definitely not try to combine with one of your existing hives if they have been poisoned!

Well, I think they tried with wasp/hornet spray, so I don't think the remaining ones are affected. But that is certainly something to think about. I will keep that in mind.

It has been four days since I started the trap out and it has been a really great experience so far. The homeowner is patient and willing to give it a chance. I now have some questions though. It appears that I was successful of blocking all but the main entrance to the mother hive so that is good. Bees are still coming out of the cone maybe 2 to 3 per minute. The trap is getting full of bees. When I was trying to put the cone on the mother hive the other day, many bees were coming heavy with pollen. I now don't see very many at all with pollen. The ones that do, go into the trap which is good. The frame of brood and honey that I put in the trap appears to be void of honey now, but still has brood and it is covered with new bees. One that that is weird though is that they are fanning like crazy every where. It was about 101 today so they may be really hot in that trap. Anyway, what about food? If they have eaten all the honey I gave them do they need more. I really don't want to put another frame of honey in there.

IMG_20130708_164938.jpgIMG_20130711_165705.jpg

Are you in a flow? If not then feed them syrup.

Update: It has been six days now and I went and checked the trap. It is teaming with bees. Very full! I'm pretty sure I saw what I thought was uncapped honey and more bees entering with pollen. I also saw what may or may not be the beginnings of a queen cell on the bottom of the frame I originally put in there. They are not drawing any comb yet on any of the four other frames. In the 30 minutes I was there observing, I saw one bee in the screen cone, but it never came out. I think it's time to close up and move the colony. I didn't look hard for the queen, mainly because I have read that it's not very likely that she came out. I talked with the owner and told her what could happen now (seeping honey, mold, smell, etc..) She seems fine with taking her chances. So tomorrow, close to dark, I will retrieve the hive and close up the mother hive, whatever is left. I wasn't going to charge her anything because it was my first trap out and she was very patient. She is insisting that I come up with an amount. What do you think I should charge? I probably have about 3 hours of work into it and about 100 miles total of travel.

You aren't done yet!!!! You have 5 more weeks minimum before taking the cone off. I just got the lion's share of active foragers. It takes the queen a week or so to stop laying eggs, maybe more. And from that point you have 21 days for all the brood to emerge and 2 weeks to get all the bees. I leave a trap-out cone in place for 6 week minimum.

Myself, I will not take any money for doing a trap out. Once you do that then you become more liable for damages and you are obligated to get all the bees possible. When you do it free of charge you can easily say "that is all I can do for you" and not feel guilty about leaving a few bees.

Quote Originally Posted by DLMKA View Post
    You aren't done yet!!!! You have 5 more weeks minimum before taking the cone off. I just got the lion's share of active foragers. It takes the queen a week or so to stop laying eggs, maybe more. And from that point you have 21 days for all the brood to emerge and 2 weeks to get all the bees. I leave a trap-out cone in place for 6 week minimum.
    Thanks for the info DLMKA, but help me understand a little better. If the queen continues to lay eggs, isn't it the other bees that feed and take care of the brood? I do agree that the longer I leave the trap and cone in place, the less chance of closing up bees in the wall. You make some good points.