Default Honey Extraction Disasters!

Tell us yours....

Mine..

I was extracting in the garage and had left the garage door open slightly while doing so. The entire time I was extracting, scarcely a bee entered. I broke for a sandwich in the kitchen and came back to find the garage FULL of bees! I mean FULL of bees!! Musta been at least 10k of em! The only thing I could do was close the garage door and turn off all the lights. They started going to the windows of the garage door and every now & then I'd open the door to let some out. Kept doing that the remainder of the day until evening when most left. Can't imagine how much honey the buggers took with them!

Never again!!!

Larry
    Last edited by snl; 07-09-2013 at 06:32 AM.

Default Re: Honey Extraction Disasters!

Fun stuff. Well I do know that I don't have that many bees in the yard, but under the shed back here I have a 'robbing station' kinda set up for them to clean combs for me. They can clean several frames of nearly capped honey completely dry in a couple hours. I did a cutout the other day and had probably 15 pounds or so of nectar. They had the combs dry in a couple hours.

A few weeks ago they cleaned an entire super of honey for me by 10:00 that I sat out at daylight.
    Don't laugh it's paid for. -- Manure draws more flies than honey.

I loaded frames into the extractor, set my filters into a bucket that had a honey gate - but forgot to close the honeygate..... Caught it at the 1 foot diameter spread. Good thing I didn't go back into the house for a cup of coffee at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by RobWok View Post
    I loaded frames into the extractor, set my filters into a bucket that had a honey gate - but forgot to close the honeygate..... Caught it at the 1 foot diameter spread. Good thing I didn't go back into the house for a cup of coffee at that time.
    My story is about the same as RobWok's.The only difference is that I did go in for coffee and didn't catch mine until later.I obviously need a keeper.