Default bees left one hive for another?

i did a cut out 2 days ago and put bees along with comb in a hive. today the hive is empty but the one next to it doubled in population. it seems they adopted the other queen as their own i have never heard of this before. im guessing the queen from the cutout was accidently killed or lost. has anyone else ever heard of this happening

Default Re: bees left one hive for another?

I have read about drift to a queenright hive did you put in any brood or eggs from the cutout for them to raise a queen on ?

yes they had brood and eggs i used rubberbands to attach pieces of comb to 5 frames

no other discussion?

Drifting is a fact of life. It is often worse if something happens to the queen in their hive, or they have been totally disrupted (as in a cutout).
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I imagined drifting as a few bees here and there accidently going to the wrong hive. I never imagined every single bee picking up and moving next door

When one hive is queenless and the one next door is not, drifting can get extreme. Even if one is a good young queen and the other is either an old queen or a virgin queen, neither of which makes as much QMP, they may drift badly.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by mann View Post
    no other discussion?

if that was for me, sorry, I didn't see this thread again for awhile, I have no other ideas either other than drifting, and I have very little experience with that, If you wan't a second hive wait for them to settle for awhile, and then spit the now stronger hive.