Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Default Re: I would like to be a commercial beek

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    Tim, You remind me of teh guy tat sat across the banquet table from me last Saturday night. He leaned across the table toward me. staring straight at me, With all seriousness he whispered. "I know whats killing all them bees". Well as you can imagine I dropped my fork into my plate and lost all interest in that delectable prime rib. And focused myself entirely on gaining this most valuable bits of information. I replied "What would that be"? He then begain with all the stealth of someone imparting information pertaining to national security. "It's the earths magnetic field, it's shifting". "Flippin clean over so the north is south and the south is north". I let my jaw drop just a bit to indicate my complete surprise. "Really" I said. "Yep, sure is. those bees can't navigate home cause the magnetic field changes to much between the time the leave the hive and when they start heading back". I wanted to ask him just where all those bees where keeping their compasses but I was already having a hard enough time holding a straight face.

Okay I am just razzing you cause I just had to share that story. The story really did happen.
    LOL... Comical.... It's a good story, thanks for the laugh.....

Some people don't know what the word average means or how to calculate an average.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    one would think that a queen can only hold a finite amount of drone sperm, and that the demand for that sperm in your large colonies would limit the queen's life span rather than lengthen it.
    Tims queens probably have the ability to store an infinite amount of drone sperm
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    i've read it tim, good article.

to average five years means that some queens live even longer than that. that's record breaking

one would think that a queen can only hold a finite amount of drone sperm, and that the demand for that sperm in your large colonies would limit the queen's life span rather than lengthen it.
    Yes...that would be my assessment. So if I was to limit her room by using a excluder vs free reign. Theoretically that should prolong her years??? But then you would be coming out of winter with less Vg rich bees by limiting her.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ives View Post
    Pre 2010 I had problems with swarming. But I figured out how to dramatically reduce the swarming probability. Drawn comb entices hoarding behavior and new supers keep wax builders depleted. Cant just throw 7 brand new supers on, they'll swarm. Supers have to be cleared after the flows and put back on ASAP.
    and thats how you manage swarming? You manage hives with a population of 200000 bees and your swarm control strategy is clearing out the supers and putting them back on ASAP?!
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Well the volume of sperm a queen can hold is finite. and in a poorly mated queen this can be a problem. case in point is the drone layer. Btu for the adequately mated queen I believe that this limit far exceeds any possible number of eggs she could lay. So unless you have some expectation of your queen living 20 years or something like that. limited sperm is not going to become an issue.

For some reason I have the 8 million in my head for the number of sperm. If a queen did contain that many it means she could lay 1500 fertilized eggs per day for 14.5 years.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Some people don't know what the word average means or how to calculate an average.
    Very true... Everything a numbers game to me. The golden ratio which bees use A LOT...

I was trying to find that number in The Encyclopedia of Beekeeping and didn't find it. It did say that queens may live three or four years.

No matter how many drones a queen mates w/ the sperm that doesn't fit into the spermatheca gets ejected from the abdomen.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    and thats how you manage swarming? You manage hives with a population of 200000 bees and your swarm control strategy is clearing out the supers and putting them back on ASAP?!

You missed the putting them on early and keeping wax builders depleted.

Very true... Everything a numbers game to me. The golden ratio which bees use A LOT...
    So did you blueberry hives average 90lbs production or did you get 90 lbs of honey off of the one w/ the most honey and less off of the rest?
    Mark Berninghausen

So did you blueberry hives average 90lbs production or did you get 90 lbs of honey off of the one w/ the most honey and less off of the rest?
    60 to 120... That's not counting the ones a slowed down by making draw comb.

#1 of wax makes 35,000 cells. Takes close to 100# of honey to make the wax in 7 brand new supers

You missed the putting them on early and keeping wax builders depleted.
    old queens swarm ( 3 years and older ), no matter how busy you keep your wax builders. Its not a matter of management, its a matter of WHAT BEES DO
    www.stepplerfarms.com

#1 of wax makes 35,000 cells. Takes close to 100# of honey to make the wax in 7 brand new supers
    why is it all your answers have to be deciphered ? Mark asked is that 90 lbs average, you answered 60-120 not including the slow ones,,?
    www.stepplerfarms.com

So you aren't counting honey you took from the hives and extracted you are estimating how much honey was produced and consumed too. So you probably didn't produce for extraction any more honey than anyone else made.
    Mark Berninghausen

So you aren't counting honey you took from the hives and extracted you are estimating how much honey was produced and consumed too. So you probably didn't produce for extraction any more honey than anyone else made.
    I'm going by what I extracted and went into buckets.

why is it all your answers have to be deciphered ? Mark asked is that 90 lbs average, you answered 60-120 not including the slow ones,,?
    So you don't know what average means? Don't see what needs to be deciphered??

I don't think anyone knows how much honey bees consume to make a lb of wax.

However if I say my hives made 100 lb's of honey, I would mean that whatever honey I have extracted, put in the tank, and weighed, divided by the number of hives, ='s 100 lb's.

That's what average means.

Other thing I'm wondering about with these multiple extractions in one season is moisture content.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

So you don't know what average means? Don't see what needs to be deciphered??
    one hive went 60-the other hive 120 lbs, all the rest were slow ones,
    2700 lbs, thats just over 4 barrels of honey right>?

kinda like your hives going into winter with 10 plus lbs of pollen stores, and your hives maintaining over 200000 bees, without swarming troubles,
    all done with no treatments, feed, or losses ,

hand over that coffee please,
    www.stepplerfarms.com

one hive went 60-the other hive 120 lbs, all the rest were slow ones,
    2700 lbs, thats just over 4 barrels of honey right>?

kinda like your hives going into winter with 10 plus lbs of pollen stores, and your hives maintaining over 200000 bees, without swarming troubles,
    all done with no treatments, feed, or losses ,

hand over that coffee please,
    I don't understand what needs to be deciphered here?????

O wait coffee... Folgers medium blend

lets first start with your blueberry honey crop, 4 barrels worth off of 30 hives, sitting on 15 acres of Blueberries?
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast