Question Tea Tree oil in sugar syrup

I apologize if this has been answered before. I tried searching and didn't get the results I was looking for.

I have seen some information on the web of people using tea tree oil in sugar syrup to help with varroa mites. I am having a hard time finding a recipe with an actual quantity of how much tea tree oil. Does anyone have a syrup recipe with a quantity?

I found the excerpt below and makes me wonder if it should be used in this manner at all. Has anyone here used it long term? Did the hive do well longterm, i.e., was the hive strong the following year, honey production, did they winter well?

According to the American Cancer Society: "Tea tree oil is toxic when swallowed. It has been reported to cause drowsiness, confusion, hallucinations, coma, unsteadiness, weakness, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach upset, blood cell abnormalities, and severe rashes. It should be kept away from pets and children."[22]

Default Re: Tea Tree oil in sugar syrup

Don't know if this is what you are looking for, but it is courtesy of one of FatBeeMan's videos.

In a blender combine:
    1 cup water
    1 teaspoon tea tree oil (for nosema control)
    1 teaspoon lemongrass oil
    1 teaspoon spearmint oil or wintergreen oil (for mites)

Blend until thoroughly emulsified, approximately 5 minutes. Pour into a gal jug and add water to make 2 quarts. (Do not heat EOs, as this causes the oil to dissipate.) This is the concentrate and will keep for months.

To feed:
    Add 1 cup concentrate to 1 gal. cooled sugar syrup. Feed once a week for 3-4 weeks.

As to the ACS quote, remember that there are also many meds that are toxic at high doses. The key is to use them as prescribed. While I do use EOs, I only use them in the Spring and the Fall, and I do believe they are effective. That's JMO, of course.

HTH

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

IIRC, FatBeeMan has a video talking about using tea tree oil for nosmia. He was adding it to syrup. I'm not sure what the mixture was.
    Zone 9b. Second year newb.

Ahh. I think that is where I got the idea but couldn't find it again.

Thanks.

Has anyone here used it long term? Did the hive do well longterm, i.e., was the hive strong the following year, honey production, did they winter well?
    FWIW: I first heard about EOs in about 2000 and started using them shortly thereafter. Been using them ever since.

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

I use it in my summer feeding I feed it to my bees once a month. I use 15 drops of lemongrass. in 5 gallons of 1 and 1 sugar mix seems to work good for me. the rest of the time I feed I leave out the tea tree oil.
    15 drops of Spearmint
    15 drops of tea tree oil