Default Is a nearby Hornet nest something to worry about?

My wife spotted a Bald Faced Hornet nest about 35' up in one of our Pine trees. It is about 90 yards from the Apiary (3 hives). We have not seen any of the Hornets at the hives yet. The Hornet nest looks like it's still under construction, only 7 or 8" in diameter. Very active though.

Is this something to be concerned about? I've read differing accounts in other posts regarding Hornet marauding of hives, and weakening hives to the point that other pests can do more damage.

Thanks

Default Re: Is a nearby Hornet nest something to worry about?

I was just wondering the same thing about a big wasp nest in a barn near my hives. I've heard about yellow jackets but don't know if wasps and hornets are much of a problem.

It's my understanding that bald-faced hornet WILL raid hives, in fact I'm pretty sure there was just a thread about it here. If it was me, I'd try and get the nest before they got really established--they may be building there because they see your hives as a steady food source....

I lost a hive to yellow jackets last fall so I'd get rid of the wasps too. I found a dead wasp in one of my hives today. It must have tried to get some honey but failed

I would keep in mind where it is and IF you have an issue with them damaging your bees, then get out the 12 gauge shotgun and see what kind of damage you can do.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Wish I could get my wasps that way, but they're inside the barn. They're pretty high up. I'm thinking about puttin bug bombs in the loader bucket,but the rafters may be in the way.

>Wish I could get my wasps that way, but they're inside the barn.

Yeah, it only works with an external hornets nest in a tree...

No easy way to get to them, but if you can reach them safely, soapy water works pretty well. If you can't reach them safely, maybe they are high enough to not bother you anyway...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    I would keep in mind where it is and IF you have an issue with them damaging your bees, then get out the 12 gauge shotgun and see what kind of damage you can do.
    VP Joe Biden likes this idea.

I'll monitor the situation. If the Hornets pose a threat to our girls, well then they would leave me no choice. The nest is maybe 24' off the ground, not 35' like previously reported. The range of those "Wasp & Hornet killer" spray cans is listed at 20'. Guess I'll have to jump and spray.

>VP Joe Biden likes this idea.

Yes. Maybe two shots in the air would accomplish something in this situation... if you aim them right.