Default OA vapor question...

Checking hives today. 74 degrees and a little breezy on Feb 23rd... Lots of stuff blooming and bees are building up fast. Too fast I am afraid. One hive checked today had 5 well covered brood frames with new wax being drawn and that frame full of eggs. There was some drone brood between the boxes and mites were visible on the drone pupae.

My question is if the bees are still predominantly in the top brood box. (one box) Would you still dose the hive like its two boxes or just use one spoon of powder as the bees occupy only one of the boxes. I am assuming the tiny spoon that came with my wood bleach is the correct measure for one brood box but not sure. I haven't vaporized anything yet. Hoping to get the mites knocked down before the supers go on which might not be far away barring that looming hard freeze that can happen anytime between now and April.

These mutts seem to do alright on their own but I would like to give them every chance to thrive and pack in lots honey.

Default Re: OA vapor question...

I would dose for 2 boxes as you have to have the density of vapor downstairs for it to go up. That is my opinion. I do use OAV but there are more experienced people.
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, flood and strange weather. The bees are still alive.

2 grams and you're fine. Always one gram per brood chamber no matter the size (except for nucs) and that's 1/2 gram.
    Since you have bees in both chambers, even though they are predominantly in one, 2 grams.
    If it were I, seeing what you're seeing, I'd do 3 treatments, once every 7 days.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Yea seems to make sense. Maybe it takes a longer burn to reach the top box? IDK

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    2 grams and you're fine. Always one gram per brood chamber no matter the size (except for nucs) and that's 1/2 gram.
    Since you have bees in both chambers, even though they are predominantly in one, 2 grams.
    If it were I, seeing what you're seeing, I'd do 3 treatments, once every 7 days.
    Wow! Thanks. Just what I needed. The nuc question would have been next. Now I need to be sure the little spoon is measurement for a gram. I have a tiny scale if I need to weigh it but I hope the spoon says something about a gram.

Well it doesn't say anything on the spoon but I believe two spoons of powder would be about all the vaporizer bowl would hold. Looks right to me. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by westtnbeekeeper View Post
    Wow! Thanks. Just what I needed. The nuc question would have been next. Now I need to be sure the little spoon is measurement for a gram. I have a tiny scale if I need to weigh it but I hope the spoon says something about a gram.

Well it doesn't say anything on the spoon but I believe two spoons of powder would be about all the vaporizer bowl would hold. Looks right to me. Thanks again.

If I'm not mistaken, 1/2 tsp is equivalent to 2 grams.

It wont say anything about grams, which is a weight and the spoon is a volume measure.

A level half teaspoon of oxalic acid will weigh a bit more than 2 grams but close enough. The actual weight will varie depending on how much moisture your powder has picked up and how tightly it packs.

I also have a 1/4 tsp. measure somewhere but I just eyeball about half of the half tsp. measure for doing nucs. If I am doing a three deep colony I heap it up and call it good. Just dont ever mistake tablespoon for teaspoon!

Some of the vaporizers will overflow if you try to do 3 grams.
    Frank

Thanks everybody... Going to hit youtube up for some procedural stuff.

Recently at WalMart I found a set of measuring spoons that includes a 3/4 teaspoon, so now I have a set that matches any of my stack sizes in a single distinctive scoop (they are black with a different color circle on the handle for each size).

This is small thing, I know, but not having to fiddle with both a quarter-teaspoon and the half-teaspoon to do three box stacks will make my treatment days easier.

I recommend taking the TABLESPOON completely off the ring, so there's chance of a mistake.

If I am using follower boards to reduce the interior size of my 10-frame boxes to something that's nuc size, I count the frames and divide by 10 to get the "total number of boxes being treated."

Enj.

Quote Originally Posted by enjambres View Post
    I recommend taking the TABLESPOON completely off the ring, so there's NO chance of a mistake.
    There, fixed that for you.

(Editor hat off.)
    If you want to be successful, study successful people and do what they do.
    Zone 4a/b