Default Contents found on my bottom board

Hi i found what looks like stingers with their venom sacks on my bottom board can anyone help me confirm and should this be found on the bottom board? What are the possible causes?
    Next is, what are those other funny things encircled? are those white looking mites varroa too?

The second picture shows the whole board which has so many of those white mites. Should this be classified heavy?

Default Re: Contents found on my bottom board

Those are certainly stings and venom sacks. I find them sometimes in mine, usually after robbers have tempted to infiltrate and fighting ensues. I've also noticed it sometimes when I check colonies on a "bad" day when they are angry and the ones that stung my suit retained the venom sac and sting and fall back into the hive. As for the mites, I have seen light colored varroa in one of my hives this year. I found the color difference intriguing. It does look like you have some varroa in your pics, but it's hard to tell how many with the image quality (no offense). It looks like some other critters are on the board too. It's some other type of mite, I wouldn't be too concerned with it, some mites are beneficial to the hive. Your call.
    A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius

Very interesting. Male varroa, perhaps?

underdeveloped varroa. thats a good thing in my opinion. probably removed by nurse bees.

no worries about the picture it really aint clear, I initially intended to just take a picture of the stingers to have it verified, I only noticed the mites when I downloaded it into the computer.
    It was the 3rd day after applying formic when I pulled out the board to clean it up.

I just learned from further research that aside from Varroa mites , the other mites fond on the board could actually be tropilaelaps
    Last edited by Jackson; 12-16-2013 at 08:58 PM. Reason: remove picture

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
    I just learned from further research that aside from Varroa mites , the other mites fond on the board could actually be tropilaelaps
    That is interesting. From what I found, tropilaelaps spp may not be a bad thing, but there are two species that pose the same risks as varroa. They are also endemic to your region. In other words, monitor closely, and do not share them with the rest of us.
    A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius

haha don't worry TR, mites like this are not meant to be shared