Default Robber screen and SHB

Sitting out by my hives yesterday and watched several SHB fly into my hives. I noticed that they flew around the entrance back and forth zoning in on the entrance. Would a robber screen help keep them little buggers out. I would think they would have to be removed during a flow.

Default Re: Robber screen and SHB

I have used robber screens for several years on top bar and langs, they don't help with the SHB, a strong hive and decreasing their hiding places does help. I went to foundationless on my langs and try to keep them as strong as possible, also full sun even in mid summer. I have not had to remove my screens, my robber screens are open at the top, the bees learn to land without touching the screen, I leave them on all the time.

Thx Stan.Vick I'm already doing the things you've suggested, just always looking for something more.

What about using aluminum window screen instead of #8 wire screen. I assume SHB use smell to locate hives and maybe like robber bees it might stop them at the entrance unable to go past the screen. Just a thought.

I use robber screens - many with window screen. I think that they confuse the hive beetles a bit, but I'm not sure that it makes much of a difference - they still get in. It can't hurt though. Also a hive which is stressed by robbing is certainly more likely to be hurt by SHB. Robber screens also help with yellow jackets - which were particularly bad this past fall. I think that anything which improves overall hive health and lowers stress makes it less likely that SHB will cream them.

So, short version - Robber screens help prevent SHB problems, but not necissarily by keeping them out of hives. In my opinion.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b