Smile Stanislaus county area beekeeper

My wife may be taking a good job in Turlock California and I am thinking of quiting my general contracting business and moving my bees from Northern Utah. I have around 200 hives and have been working with a commercial beekeeper in utah for a couple of years. I would like to find someone who would be willing to mentor me and teach me the best way to keep bees in California. I'm sure it is a bit different than Utah. I would be willing to trade labor for this help.
    I also have contacts that I will be supplying 1000-1500 3lb packages in Utah. These packages were purchased in CA last year and delivered throughout Utah. I would like to work with someone in CA to produce the packages for next year.
    I have been doing some queen rearing in Utah with some success and would like to try doing some in CA. I think I could supply several hundred to my Utah contacts. I have sold 20-30 this year already without even trying. I just wanted to see if I could do it and work out some of the bugs and word has got out and hobby beeks want them.
    I have been self employed for 20 Yrs and can build about anything out of wood or concrete. I have had employees and have managed other contractors on million$ jobs. I can operate most farm and construction equipment and built a construction business from the ground up so I think I can make a go as a beekeeper I just need to find someone who is willing to help me out and hopefully I can help them out in return.

Default Re: Stanislaus county area beekeeper

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerhappy870 View Post
    My wife may be taking a good job in Turlock California and I am thinking of quiting my general contracting business and moving my bees from Northern Utah. I have around 200 hives and have been working with a commercial beekeeper in utah for a couple of years. I would like to find someone who would be willing to mentor me and teach me the best way to keep bees in California. I'm sure it is a bit different than Utah. I would be willing to trade labor for this help.
    I also have contacts that I will be supplying 1000-1500 3lb packages in Utah. These packages were purchased in CA last year and delivered throughout Utah. I would like to work with someone in CA to produce the packages for next year.
    I have been doing some queen rearing in Utah with some success and would like to try doing some in CA. I think I could supply several hundred to my Utah contacts. I have sold 20-30 this year already without even trying. I just wanted to see if I could do it and work out some of the bugs and word has got out and hobby beeks want them.
    I have been self employed for 20 Yrs and can build about anything out of wood or concrete. I have had employees and have managed other contractors on million$ jobs. I can operate most farm and construction equipment and built a construction business from the ground up so I think I can make a go as a beekeeper I just need to find someone who is willing to help me out and hopefully I can help them out in return.

Well here I go being Mr. Grump. ( aka... old man realist) Not enough coffee through my Monday morning brain as of yet I guess:

Best wishes on your move...........To some of the most crowded bee country in the world. If you find yards hide them well. Be prepared to make a lot off trips to Stockton for syrup. If you have honey production on your mind you might want to consider that a fantasy... To many mouths already on to few acres. The whole gig here now revolves around running massive numbers in yards like cattle feed lot. That's what we have now.......cows with wings.... Hope you have a big pocket book as the expense to keep them going till Almonds each year is increasingly insane. Not that it cant be done....... Just be prepared. This year our gang making packages was 9 people. From grafting through deliveries all were working full time. If you think you can do every step of packages by yourself your numbers are either going to be really small or your never going to get any sleep for 2.5 months.

BTW: Why would you bring packages to a land (slc area) where they sell them at a pittance when you could haul them 500 miles further and garner a way better price? How much are you willing to pay in Ca for them?

If your wife's job pays a regular stipend make sure she shows up on time. A steady income in this business is difficult to achieve.

Wow Mr grumpy pants!! I appreciate your telling it like it is. It sounds like beekeeping is more like Utah than I exspected. We may not be one of the most crowded areas in the world but we have to feed a lot and our honey crop is barely enough to pay to transport to the almonds.
    Why do you need to hide your hives? Is it because of theft? You all are pretty good at it. I have spent 3 days in the area and the only bee box I found was one empty next to a to a shed while I was trying to locate a honey producer. (Empty box but no one else around) I did see several alfalfa fields in full bloom thinking there was no bees on them but they may have been hidden well.
    I paid $70 for packages last year and I deliver them in the SLC area because that is where I live and that is where the people buying them live. I suppose I could haul them 500 miles further but I do not know who I would sell them to and it makes it difficult to provide good service if problems arise.
    Thank you for your input.

Give me a call.

I'm not a mentor but, I may have some work for you during almond pollination.
    California Almond Pollination Services, Inc.
    http://www.almondbeepollination.com

I live 15 min south of Turlock and even I have more almond trees than bee hives I might be able to help you get started in some ways - PM me for details!