Hybrid View

Default How often and how thorough inspection on bottom deep?

I have 2 hives and one is doing really well. I put the 2nd deep on it last week. The bottom deep is so packed with bees and thick comb of capped honey on the upper parts of the frames that it's hard to get the first frame out. And propolis is building up on the frame rests making it work to even move the frames around.. My propolis/pollen stained fingers after today's inspection was like a badge of honor.

I am removing any brace comb i find. Anythng else I should do to keep the house clean? How often and how deep should I inspect the bottom deeps? Should I be pulling all frames even if I am seeing eggs and young brood?

Thanks

Default Re: How often and how thorough inspection on bottom deep?

I am removing any brace comb i find. Anythng else I should do to keep the house clean? How often and how deep should I inspect the bottom deeps? Should I be pulling all frames even if I am seeing eggs and young brood?
    How often to inspect kinda depends. If it's swarm season, every 7-10 days is necessary to catch them before they swarm. After swarm season, every two weeks or even more is fine. As long as you see eggs you know for sure you have a queen. If you don't see lots of swarm cells or honey binding or poor brood pattern or other issues on 2 or 3 frames, there's really no need to break the whole thing open.
    Try it. What could happen?

we use drone boards so go in at least every 3 weeks - normally 2 & a bit, unless something seems abnormal. This weekend, opened up our strongest hive to replace the drone board and it was almost empty - lots of other brood though & they are laying down lots of honey (clover is in full bloom here). Have 2 deep & 2 shallows on right now.

First year newbie here.

Maybe Im doing something wrong, but I havent been into my bottom deep since probably the first week of June. We bought a hive of bees, came in an old deep box that was not in great shape, so I transferred all frames into a new deep, and immediately added another deep. (this was in late May). A few weeks alter we opened up the hive again to check, found the queen, eggs, brood, and saw that they were starting to move into the second deep.

Since then I havent done much except open the hive to see how full the top deep/honey super has been. Ill pull a few frames on the outside just to see if things look Ok, but I havent done anything thorough in a while. I figure since the hive seems to be doing well, no need to interrupt them just to satisfy my curiosity.

Generally, you only need to see eggs or very young larvae to know a queen is present. You'll get eggs with a laying worker also, but they usually lay multiple eggs per cell and a more scattered pattern. Rather than pulling every frame in the brood nest to look for swarm cells, just tip the whole box up and look at the bottoms of the frames, if they are building swarm cells you will usually see some there, not queen cups, but cells with royal jelly and larvae in them. If you see that then you must inspect every frame thoroughly for cells. If no cells are visible there, then you can be pretty sure (but not absolutely sure) that no queen cells are being built. John

Quote Originally Posted by ScipioUSA View Post
    First year newbie here.

Maybe Im doing something wrong, but I havent been into my bottom deep since probably the first week of June.
    You are doing exactly right.More damage is done by constant,frequent manipulations of the brood chamber than anything else.
    I inspect twice a year unless I suspect a problem.The only real reason for the twice yearly inspection is that these are the times I treat for mites anyway.
    edited to add...a quick look down at the top of the brood box,as you are adding supers,is really all you need.