Default Wax cardboard nucs

If placed on shelving in a lean to shed constructed with pallet walls and a tin roof would they overwinter with appropriate stores.

Default Re: Wax cardboard nucs

I don't think they would.

You will get several correct answers that disagree with each other because each beek is giving you the answer for their climate and winter conditions. Also you can do it some winters and all will be well. next winter you will lose them all.

You need to decide how much risk you want to take and try it with a small number of nucs first. The you will have more info on deciding if you want to keep trying it.
    Old Guy in Alabama

Not much insulation in that thin cardboard. The best way I've found to overwinter nucs is put a divider board in a broodbox and place two 5 frames colonies in. Then place the "two nuc box" over a regular hive with a double screen bottom board in between. They stay nice and warm all winter and you don't have to spend extra on nuc boxes.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Mine started to sag and get droopy as it absorbed moisture from the air and the colony inside. I wouldn't recommend it.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    Not much insulation in that thin cardboard. The best way I've found to overwinter nucs is put a divider board in a broodbox and place two 5 frames colonies in. Then place the "two nuc box" over a regular hive with a double screen bottom board in between. They stay nice and warm all winter and you don't have to spend extra on nuc boxes.
    Charlie...I am trying to picture this. Two 5 frames colonies..would you have enough room for two 5 frame colonies in a 10 frame brood box with a divider? How thick is the divider and where would you get such a divider? Thanks.

No the cardboard will definitely sag depending on the moisture in an out. The Easy Nuc boxes are way better and can stand up to moisture but insulation is still a problem.

As far as the brood box idea I believe there would not be sufficient space with a divider. I made some last year and then switched them to 4 frames each side. Even with an 1/8" divider 5 on either side after propolis build up becomes dangerously tight. Others I am sure will pipe in. Good luck.

And what will you do when the bees chew that cardboard to pieces?

Quote Originally Posted by SallyD View Post
    Charlie...I am trying to picture this. Two 5 frames colonies..would you have enough room for two 5 frame colonies in a 10 frame brood box with a divider? How thick is the divider and where would you get such a divider? Thanks.
    Here's a pic of an 8 frame box I turned into a queen castle with four different compartments holding two frames each. (Same principle as the "two nuc box" I described in my post above). Below the box is a double screen bottom board that I just simply set on top of a normal hive so they can benefit from the heat generated.

queencastle.jpg

I do the same thing with 10 frame and 8 frame boxes using just one divider board to create two nuc compartments in one box. The divider board material I use is a thin piece of luan that is 1/4" thick.
    Plenty of room for that and frames. I use Mann Lake boxes which I find are a little wider than standard size.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    Here's a pic of an 8 frame box I turned into a queen castle with four different compartments holding two frames each. (Same principle as the "two nuc box" I described in my post above). Below the box is a double screen bottom board that I just simply set on top of a normal hive so they can benefit from the heat generated.

queencastle.jpg

I do the same thing with 10 frame and 8 frame boxes using just one divider board to create two nuc compartments in one box. The divider board material I use is a thin piece of luan that is 1/4" thick.
    Plenty of room for that and frames. I use Mann Lake boxes which I find are a little wider than standard size.
    Thanks Charlie...a picture is worth a 1000 words!

I wouldn't even bother trying. you could try the divided one mentioned or you could try the 5 frame dcoates nuc boxes found in the build it yourself section of this website.